Intermodal Driver Manager/ Dispatcher
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Come join Lightning Transportation as Driver Manager!
Location: Baltimore, MD
Reports To: Operations Manager
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
This position provides dispatch, customer service, and administrative support which exceeds customer expectations for on-time performance and prompt responsiveness to requirements. Coordinates with customer service to determine customer load requirements and plan and assign loads to drivers. Ensures the timely delivery of loads in a cost-effective manner. Promotes driver loyalty and maintains excellent relationships by communicating honestly and effectively, providing optimal solutions to driver concerns.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Accurately track and enter data into TMS.
- Work with CSR to manage and schedule loads with customers.
- Offer loads to drivers and set up schedules in conjunction with the operations team. Broker loads when necessary, based on volume. Monitor load progress to ensure timely delivery. Develop optimal solutions to problems which may affect the delivery schedule including - vehicle breakdown, weather, and traffic. Maintain communications with customers, drivers, and customer service. Alert all concerned parties of any potential deviations to the estimated time of arrival of shipments.
- Enter information into TMS as needed for Delivery Instructions, Driver Settlements, records maintenance. Maintain records of freight movement and delivery receipts. Review and approve driver settlement records.
- Review and process paperwork received from drivers.
- Optimize chassis utilization and monitor container locations to minimize demurrage and per diem charges due to delayed pickups/deliveries.
- Communicate and build relationships with drivers to provide excellent service, resolve problems and ensure customer satisfaction.
- Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty mentioned satisfactorily, should possess exemplary communication skills, and be detail oriented. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma/GED, 2-5 years work experience in intermodal transportation, and experience working with owner operators typically required to fulfill the responsibilities of the job.
Ability to effectively communicate information and respond to questions in person-to-person and small group situations with customers, drivers, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
SOFTWARE SKILLS REQUIRED
Excellent data entry and business correspondence skills. Intermediate level proficiency in MS Outlook and MS Excel.
Accurate knowledge of DOT Regulations. Applicants should possess the ability to multi-task and prioritize effectively to complete time sensitive responsibilities.
Under general supervision where standard practice enables the employee to proceed alone on routine work, referring all questionable situations to supervisor.
Allocate driver resources to customers based upon size, importance, flexibility, and driver availability. Outsources loads to brokerage carriers when drivers are not available at all locations, except Hagerstown. Reviews and approves driver pay and resolves discrepancies. Settles disputes arising from shipment shortages. Handles both customer and driver issues and grievances; resolves these issues independently.
ANALYTICAL ABILITY / PROBLEM SOLVING
Moderately repetitive. Activities with slight variation using a definite set of processes or directions with some degree of supervision. Choice of learned things in situations which conform to clearly established patterns and modes.
USE OF MACHINES, EQUIPMENT AND/OR COMPUTERS
Regular use of machines and equipment (desktop/laptop computer and software).
Probable errors of internal and external scope would have a moderate effect on the operational efficiency of the organizational component concerned. Errors might possibly go undetected for a considerable period, thereby creating an inaccurate picture of an existing situation. Could cause further errors, losses, or embarrassment to the organization. The possibility for error is always present due to requirements of the job.
Contacts of considerable importance within the department or office, such as those required in coordination of effort, or frequent contacts with other departments or offices, generally in normal course of performing duties. Requires tact in discussing problems and presenting data and making recommendations
The physical activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is continuously required to sit, use hands to handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, talk or hear; frequently required to walk; occasionally required to stand.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
There are no harmful environmental conditions that are present for this position.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
2250 Edgewater Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21222; Corporate office located at 16820-C Blake Road, Hagerstown, MD 21740.
Lightning Transportation, Inc.
2250 Edgewater AvenueBaltimore, MD
Transportation and StorageView all jobs at Lightning Transportation, Inc.