JOB SUMMARY: The RN position is integral to the efficient functioning of the Inpatient Units. They will, by virtue of their role, be responsible for providing professional psychiatric nursing care, via own task functions and supervision of the task of other nursing personnel on their shift. Ensures all members of on his/her team provide quality and effective nursing care.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES: The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification with or without an accommodation. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, monitors, and evaluates client care provided by staff under his/her supervision.
- Accurately assesses client’s needs and prioritizes care
- Develops effective client care plans
- Utilizes knowledge to facilitate psycho-educational groups
- Oversees and manages unit
- Effectively supervises those employees assigned to the unit
- Documents service provision in an accurate and timely manner
- Administers medications as ordered by the physician
- Assists Nurse Administrator(s) and RN Shift Supervisor to improve inpatient nursing services care delivery systems
- Excellent time management skills are vital to satisfactory job performance
- Legible hand writing and good documentation skills are essential
- Assists with the performance evaluation of staff under his/her supervision
- Demonstrates accuracy in the observation recording of clients’ behavior and activity
- Ability to successfully complete initial and annual Techniques for Effective Aggression Management (TEAM) physical restraint and verbal de-escalation training
- Facilitates the maintenance of a therapeutic milieu with the cooperation of other disciplines
- Ensures client activities take place as scheduled
- Functions as a member of the multi-disciplinary team which develops and implements treatment plans and goals for all clients assigned to the unit
- Interacts with clients to establish a therapeutic relationship and facilitates achievement of treatment plan goals in accordance with the nursing directives contained therein
- Provides direction and supervision to LPN’s and Behavioral Technicians
- Clinical skills in psychiatric and basic medical/ surgical nursing and are fundamental to this position
COMPETENCIES: Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Motivation (KSAM) required for an employee to be successful.
- Serving Our Consumers: Effectively meeting consumer needs, building productive consumer relationships, and taking responsibility for consumer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Consumer Focus: Building strong consumer relationships and delivering consumer-centric solutions.
- Values Differences: Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Age Specific: Assessment, Interpretation, Intervention, Knowledge, Developmental Stages, Enhances Family Involvement
- Basic Job Readiness: Courteous, Flexibility, Reliability, Responsiveness
- Personal Effectiveness: Communication, Interpersonal Skills, Self-Management, Thinking Skills
- Organizational/Management: Compliance, CQI Commitment, Management of Information, Safety
- Performance Specific: Assessment, Crisis Management, Consumer Focus, Medication Issues, Treatment/Service Planning.
- Effective Communication: Clearly conveying information and ideas to individuals and groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Communicates Effectively: Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Manages Conflict: Handling conflict situations effectively, with a minimum of noise.
- Continuous Improvement: The ongoing process of achieving positive changes in service and processes in order to improve efficiency and quality.
- Resourcefulness: Securing and deploying resources effectively and efficiently.
- Cultivates Innovation: Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
- Expertise: Demonstrating proficiency of an employee's skill or knowledge within their field of practice.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
KNOWLEDGE AND JOB SKILLS: Good assessment skills are key to this position. Knowledge of comprehensive or holistic approach to client care is helpful. Ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team is vital to satisfactory job performance. Must have a functional knowledge of the Baker and Marchman Acts. Demonstrates skills that ensure safe and effective client care. Good verbal and written communications skills are fundamental to satisfactory job performance. Excellent crisis intervention and conflict resolution skills are key to this position. Managerial or supervisory skills are necessary.
JUDGMENT/DECISION MAKING: Utilizes established corporate policies and procedures in making decisions. Uses sound judgment in meeting the responsibilities and performing the duties of the position.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Graduation from an accredited school of nursing meeting minimum standards of the Florida State Board of Nursing as a Registered Nurse. Two (2) years progressive experience in nursing.
TRAINING & DEVELOPMENT: Completes all requirements according to Individual Training Plan within the first six months of hire and annually. Other training and/or professional development may be assigned due to evolution of programs.