LifeSavvy Media is seeking a Senior PHP Web Developer to lead development efforts for the web platform that powers our sites: How-To Geek, Review Geek, LifeSavvy, CloudSavvy IT, and MindBounce.
Our platform, built on top of WordPress, is heavily customized to handle tens of millions of unique visitors every month. Our infrastructure runs on Amazon AWS and sits behind the Fastly full-page CDN. We have a newsletter that sends out half a million emails each day to our subscribers.
This isn't just some WordPress site - you'll be expected to fine tune your code so it can handle hundreds of hits per second. At that kind of scale, one small coding error can spiral out of control and take down the entire network.
You'll be expected to design and build new systems, integrations with cloud providers and affiliates, create analytics and reporting systems, and make everything scale to support millions of visitors.
If that sounds like a fun challenge, this might be the right job for you.
What Makes Us Great
- You'll be able to work from home, with limited travel for occasional in-person meetings.
- We were able to continue hiring during a pandemic.
- Our sites are visited by over 25 million people every month.
- Work with the business leaders to develop new systems to support our daily operations.
- Document all new code development.
- Update our software development practices.
- Debugging, testing, fixing problems with the site code.
- Rewrite and update legacy code.
- Self-motivated so nobody has to micro-manage you.
- Great communication skills so the boss is never wondering what you're working on.
- Strong attention to detail so you don't create more bugs than you fix.
- Great discipline to create and follow good development processes.
- Real-world programming experience.
- At least 3-5 years of heavy PHP-specific programming experience.
- Good understanding of WordPress plugin development.
- Experience with CSS and SASS.
- Cloud experience with EC2, EFS, S3, Lambda, SES, and other AWS technologies.
- Experience writing and tuning actual SQL queries for performance instead of just using ORMs.
- Ability to use the Linux terminal to quickly make things happen. You know what that means.
- Experience tuning pages for maximum page load speed.
- Experience with Fastly or Varnish VCL a plus.
About the Job
- This job is a full-time salary position.
- Benefits include:
- 401(k): Employer match up to 4%; eligible after 3 months of full-time employment.
- Health Insurance: Medical, dental, and vision cost-sharing insurance plan.
- Paid holidays: We offer the following paid holidays: New Year’s Day, Washington’s Birthday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, the Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day.
- Non-Cashable PTO (Vacation and Sick Days): The Company offers 120 hours of non-cashable PTO for combined paid vacation and sick pay annually. Employee is permitted to only carryover 80 hours of Non-Cashable PTO each calendar year.
- Remote work. You will be working from home and should have your own computer with reliable Internet access.
- Must be legally allowed to work in the US, based in the US, and available to work during normal business hours.
Salary: $100,000 to $120,000 depending on experience.
Why Work Here?LifeSavvy Media is an online media company, with a reach of over 30 million readers monthly. Our sites including How-To Geek, ReviewGeek, LifeSavvy. CloudSavvyIT, and MindBounce.
Work from home, room for growth!