Full-Time Flex STEM Educator
- Vision , Medical , Dental , Paid Time Off , Life Insurance , Retirement
Liberty Science Center (LSC) is seeking a STEM Educator (Flex) to develop and deliver highly interactive educational experiences and lessons across various science and technology domains. The STEM Educator will: (1) Present programs offsite in schools and community-based organizations in the form of traveling science assemblies, workshops, and other event offerings; (2) Deliver onsite interactive educational programs in LSC's laboratories, theaters, and exhibition galleries for school groups, science camp, and the general public; (3) Deliver programs virtually; and (4) Develop new programs in collaboration with various STEM Education teams.
The STEM Educator (Flex) will report to the Senior Director, School and Public Programs, and be an accountable and engaged participant in the broader STEM Education and LSC community.
What You'll Bring
You have an insatiable curiosity and knowledge about the ever-converging worlds of science, technology, engineering, art, mathematics, and culture. You are adept at translating your knowledge into interactive and inspiring programming for diverse audiences.
You are an insightful, innovative, and creative team player. You excel at managing student groups and speaking in front of large audiences. You are optimistic and passionate about science and technology's role in shaping the future. You have an insatiable thirst for knowledge and thrive in an environment that pushes you to learn and grow.
What You'll Do
Below is an overview of your essential functions; please note this is not an exhaustive list as new responsibilities can be added as business needs demand:
- Deliver off-site, on-site, and virtual student-driven, inquiry-based STEM programs as scheduled; these experiences could include lab workshops, floor demonstrations, planetarium programs, maker space programs, science camps, and stage presentations. A typical schedule may include delivering up to five sessions per day to groups of 16 to 300 students per session
- Assist the Director of Early Childhood Experiences, Director of STEM Innovation, Associate Director of Specialized STEM Programs, and/or the Planetarium Director in the delivery of demonstrations, activities, workshops, camps, media, and other program content as needed
- Establish an environment conducive to learning and appropriate to the physical, social, and emotional development of diverse audience members
- Ensure that all programs are performed in a manner that is consistent with LSC's approach to science teaching and learning
- Set up and breakdown programs and complete administrative tasks (such as making confirmation calls, inputting data into monday.com, etc.)
- Collaborate in the creation of STEM content that is aligned to Next Generation Science Standards (known in New Jersey as the New Jersey Student Learning Standards for Science or NJSLS-S), bridging informal educational experiences with formal education
- Assist the Director of Early Childhood Education, Director of STEM Innovation, Associate Director of Specialized STEM Programs, and/or the Planetarium Director in the development of demonstrations, activities, workshops, camps, media, and other program content as needed.
- Contribute new programmatic initiatives and additional science content for LSC's existing STEM programs
- Identify opportunities for professional development and training
- Keep abreast of best practices in STEM Education and the biggest developments in the world of science and technology
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of several scientific or technical fields and the ability and willingness to learn outside your area of expertise
- Knowledge of NGSS/NJSLS-S and adept at translating standards into inquiry-based learning experiences
- Ability to teach students with diverse needs
- Skilled in the application of classroom management techniques conducive to creating a warm, welcoming, and safe environment for children's learning
- Skilled in presenting technical content that is engaging and easy to understand by the target audience
- Strong project and time management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Skilled in working collaboratively with a wide range of capabilities and personalities
- A personal commitment to fostering a multicultural, diverse organization
- Ability to work independently and solve problems creatively
- BA/BS in STEM-related major; an advanced degree is a plus
- Valid NJ driver's license is required; must be able to drive a car for 2 hours following directions from a map or GPS
- Experience teaching science to children, ages 5 to 16, in either formal or informal setting
- Experience in delivering an educational presentation in a fun, dynamic way
- Experience and comfort with using educational software/technology
- Expertise in coding (e.g., Python, block), 3D printing, and/or astronomy
The STEM Educator (Flex) is a full-time, exempt position. All LSC employees must be able to work a flexible schedule, including mornings, evenings, holidays, and/or weekends, as business needs require.
The STEM Educator (Flex) has to be available to work on LSC After Dark Events.
LSC's Work Culture at a Glimpse
LSC prides itself on fostering a workplace culture that enables all employees to experience a sense of pleasure, passion, and purpose. We believe in embracing and driving change, inspiring fun and learning, and creating a positive and family-friendly team spirit. Our differences as individuals (race, gender, age, cultural heritage, physical ability, education, and lifestyle) are an asset and contribute to our ability to drive innovation. Lastly, at the heart of our work culture is the commitment to delivering a "wow factor" through our exceptional customer service to our guests and one another.
The STEM Educator (Flex) role will require working with students, often standing, for extended periods while delivering programs. This role must be able to operate standard office equipment and work in a standard classroom setting. This role may involve walking on concrete floors, maneuvering through crowds, climbing stairs, bending or stooping to work with children, carrying/lifting/pushing equipment or teaching aids up to 45 pounds, tolerating high noise levels, and extensive public speaking. This position also requires traveling via a vehicle to off-site locations in a variety of weather conditions.
Please note that off-site program delivery requires travel throughout the NJ Tri-State area (up to 140 miles from LSC) approximately three times per week.
This position requires three contingencies to be met before the first day of employment: (1) a successful criminal background check, (2) proof of Covid vaccinations, subject to applicable law, and (3) proof of authorization to work in the United States.
Compensation for this position is expected to be $53,000. In addition to compensation for salary, Liberty Science Center offers generous benefits, including, but not limited to:
- Medical, dental, life, vision, and pet insurance
- 403(b) defined contribution retirement plan with an outstanding employer match
- Considerable paid time off, including annual leave, sick leave, and federal holidays
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts (pre-tax income for eligible health and/or dependent care expenses)
- Commuter benefits (pre-tax income for parking or mass transit expenses)
- Free parking
- 25% discount in the on-site store
- 15% discount in on-site cafeteria
- LSC family membership
Please submit a resume and cover letter highlighting why Liberty Science Center and this particular role are a good fit for you.
Liberty Science Center is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and innovative environment with the best employees. We, therefore, provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military service, marital status, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
To find out more, visit lsc.org or follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter.
Liberty Science CenterJersey City, NJ
EducationView All Liberty Science Center Jobs
Get fresh Full-Time Flex STEM Educator jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.