The commercial property manager will be responsible for overseeing and directing operations at properties including retail spaces and office buildings. The commercial property manager will manage the day-to-day needs of these properties, including maintenance and custodial tasks, while interacting with tenants to collect and process rents checks, maintain lease agreements, and show spaces to potential lessees.
The commercial property manager will perform the following duties:
- Manage Leases: Responsible for creating and signing lease documents, updating leases before they expire, and showing available spaces to businesses seeking commercial space. Often times, responsible for negotiating lease terms, establishing expectations for the tenant and updating leases to attract and retain quality tenants.
- Direct Maintenance Activities: Conducting maintenance and cleaning activities and working with third-party service providers to repair and maintain crucial building systems like HVAC, plumbing, and electric. May negotiate and prepare contracts for long-term maintenance activities and individual projects and often supervise maintenance projects to ensure that they are completed according to expectations.
- Report Financial Information: Gather financial data and prepare reports on budgets, occupancy, and overhead costs to help support decision-making and ensure profitability. Create monthly and/or annual reports on property income and tenant payments.
- Market Commercial Spaces: Ensure that commercial properties are not sitting empty and the spaces are generating revenue.
- Manage Cash Flow: Active role in cash flow management, establishing budgets and identifying opportunities to reduce overhead costs. Analyze tenant trends and leases to generate ideas to enhance income.
- Oversee Personnel Management: Oversee site personnel, including security guards and regular maintenance staff.
The commercial property manager needs to be highly organized and able to successfully interact with tenants, property owners, and third-party contractors. Additional skills and qualifications include the following:
- Customer Service
- Negotiation Skills
- Financial Management
- Contractor Relations
- Marketing Experience
- Organization and Multitasking Skills