Advance Your Underwriting Career at Liberty Mutual Insurance- A Fortune 100 Company
As a National Accounts Casualty Underwriter you be will focusing on answering two fundamental questions. Should we write a policy for a particular customer? What is a fair price for the risk that we would incur by writing the policy? On the surface, these questions may seem straightforward, but as a Liberty Mutual Insurance underwriter, you will possess a curiosity that propels you to dig a little deeper for the answers. You will rely on your strong analytic, communication, and negotiation skills and thrive in a dynamic, collaborative environment. Underwriters are natural problem solvers who want to know our customers and how we can profitably accept the risks that our policies cover.
Are you looking for a Commercial Underwriting opportunity with a responsible company that has consistently outpaced the industry in year over year growth? We have an excellent underwriting opportunity available working on National Accounts where you will work to lead assigned agencies, select profitable risks and build a profitable portfolio of accounts. In addition to a wide range of benefits, as a direct employee, your insurance education and training are paid by us.
Our National Accounts Senior Underwriter work with limited direct supervision, analyzes a company's exposures, hazards, financial ratios, commercial casualty insurance coverage (workers' compensation, commercial auto, general liability, etc.), loss history, pricing targets, and desired program structure. You will also act as a leader assigned to a set of producers to ensure book meets growth, profit, retention, rate, mix of business, and other objectives while maintaining a designated underwriting authority level.
You will be responsible for:
- Evaluating a prospect's and/or renewal's financial standing, operational strategy, and industry trends to evaluate whether to proceed with the account, and if so, under what terms and conditions.
- Performing a hazard analysis by combining knowledge and experience with available information on the account and its industry, and where appropriate, collaborates with experienced underwriters and other departments to evaluate a prospect's/renewal's potential exposure to loss.
- Applies understanding of insurance with the hazards identified for the customer to assess the customer/broker request and determine acceptable coverage grants by line of business that address the customer's critical insurance and service needs.
- Using assessments of the account's operations and anticipated hazards, losses (primary & excess), and expenses (service requirements), applies knowledge of pricing tools, manual rates, rating plans, and reinsurance, develops a price for each coverage and rating plan option under consideration that meets or exceeds target returns, and has accountability and ownership of account pricing recommendations.
- Given the customer/broker request, the hazard, coverage, and loss analyses, and the competitive situation, recommends program structures (coverage, limits/retention, rating plan/pricing, and billing combinations) achieving desired Business Unit goals, including long term profitability.
- Building a proposal that presents a business case reflecting the prospect's/renewal's critical risk and financial requirements and our unique value proposition. Understands the customer and/or producer buying decisions. Lead the proposal presentation (production underwriting model).
- Cultivating effective business relationship with accounts, providing risk stewardship including initial setup of service commitments and ongoing consultation. Completes all required steps on account setup, documentation, and account management. Partners with service providers to build long-term relationships between customers/brokers and Liberty and handles expectations of all parties.
Senior Underwriter, Underwriting Specialist, or Underwriting Consultant.
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace an environment that is free from all discrimination in the workplace, in its business, or by its vendors. Liberty Mutual values diversity and the differences and similarities of our employees. We foster a diverse and inclusive work environment that leads to better ideas, stronger teams and more innovative products and services for our customers. Learn more
- Intermediate level understanding of commercial casualty insurance coverages, forms/filings, underwriting standards and competitive practices
- Ability to independently analyze complex financial statements, hazards, coverage, losses, pricing terms, and competitive positions
- Demonstrated ability to make disciplined underwriting decisions while reaching new business, retention and other goals; Effective mathematical, interpersonal (relationship building, persuasion, etc.), and organizational skills as normally obtained through a bachelor's degree (or equivalent)
- Minimum of 3 years casualty underwriting experience and a commitment to making progress towards attaining the CPCU
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, it's our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued and their growth championed.
We're dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.
Title: Senior Underwriter, National Accounts Casualty, National Insurance
Location: CA-Los Angeles
Requisition ID: 105346
Other Locations: US-CA-Orange