Teacher - Special Education - Highschool
Libertas Academy Charter School Springfield, MA
- Posted: over a month ago
- Benefits: dental, life insurance, medical, vision, 401k
Libertas Academy Mission
Through rigorous academics, character development, and strong supports for every learner, Libertas Academy Charter School prepares all sixth through twelfth grade students to succeed within the college of their choice and to be positive, engaged members of their communities.
Libertas Academy Charter School is a high expectations, high achieving school that replicates the successful models of other high performing charter schools in Massachusetts and across the country. Within an achievement oriented culture in which expectations are clear and routines are consistent, and in which the joy of learning, the power of intellectual curiosity, and the development of life-building values are at the center of our seamless 6- 12 school, all learners build the skills, knowledge, and character required for college and professional success and a life of positive community engagement.
All staff members at Libertas Academy Charter School have a strong commitment to, belief in, and alignment with the mission and vision of our school. Therefore, we seek individuals who believe in our mission and vision; will maintain high expectations for our students both academically and behaviorally; will model our school values of Focus, Integrity, Selfless Service, Respect, and Tenacity; and will reinforce our school-wide expectations. We seek individuals who will do whatever it takes to ensure that the mission of Libertas Academy is fulfilled.
Duties and Responsibilities
As a member of our founding team, teachers play a critical role in ensuring we provide all students with an excellent education. Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Provide engaging, motivating, and rigorous instruction in whole-class and individual settings ∙ Oversee / manage a caseload of special education students and the implementation of their IEP/504 plans in: inclusive, self-contained and pull-out settings
- Ensure appropriate delivery of both special education instruction and related services as stipulated on IEPs/504 plans
- Ensure compliance by the school with all local and Federal laws and regulation relating to students with IEPs/504 plans and students referred to special education
- Ensure that services provided by contractual personnel are of high quality, and are aligned with students’ IEPs/504 plans
- Effectively communicate to parents and guardians the special education process including process for referrals, evaluations, annual IEPs/504 plans, and re-evaluations as well as parental rights granted by IDEA
- Facilitate IEP meetings using a strengths based and family centered approach
- Implement data tracking system and use data to inform instructional development and delivery ∙ Ensure IEPs are developmentally appropriate, curriculum/standards -based, strength based, and relevant to individual students
- Work to maintain school tracking and data system that includes: student information related to IEPs, services, service hours, evaluations, referrals, time lines in which evaluations were competed and discipline incidents documented
- Identify and develop appropriate curriculum and school based assessments to support the academic growth of students with IEPs/504 plans
- Advocate for special education with school leadership
- Facilitate workshops / meetings for parents, as well as identify resources for parents of students with special needs
- As appropriate, connect students with outside providers, pediatricians, and therapists to support student’s needs in classroom
- Other duties as assigned
Do whatever it takes to ensure that the mission of the school is fulfilled
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree required
∙ Preferred skills and work experience:
- Master’s Degree in Special Education or Education Leadership
- Have a minimum of 2 years of successful classroom teaching experience in an urban school setting as a special education teacher
- Strong belief that all students can succeed
- Demonstrates persistence in overcoming and removing obstacles to goal achievement ∙ Demonstrates a drive, commitment and sense of urgency that inspires others to achieve results
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of instructional strategies for students with autism, developmental delay, specific learning disabilities, and behavior disorders
- Demonstrate strong skills in partnering with families
- Experience or familiarity analyzing data and using data to inform decisions and/or instruction ∙ Strong organizational skills
- Critical thinker and problem-solver
- Collaborative team player
- Spanish fluency highly desirable
Salary & Benefits
Libertas Academy Charter School offers a competitive salary and comprehensive health benefits.
Commitment to Diversity
As an equal opportunity employer, Libertas Academy hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.
Libertas Academy Charter SchoolWhy Work Here?
Lots of professional development and opportunities for growth.
Libertas Academy provides a desirable place to work, develop as a professional, and build a career in urban education. We provide a working environment where respect of teachers is the norm and teachers will have leader support in addressing classroom challenges. We provide ongoing PD that will consist of coaching and support: it will involve frequent, short observations that include coaching in real time and immediate feedback with manageable action steps. Because we will be growing each year, there will are opportunities for professional growth. Teachers will be compensated for additional duties such as teaching at our Saturday Math or our Summer Academy.