Clinical Trials Specialist, Patient Educator
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Job Title: Clinical Nurse Specialist/Patient Educator
Location: Bethesda, MD
Type of Hire: Direct Hire
Our client is seeking a Clinical Nurse Specialist/Patient Educator to support the Clinical Trials Program at the John P. Murtha Cancer Center (MCC) located at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC) in Bethesda, MD. The client provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to the MCC.US citizenship is required. This position will be 24 hours per week during the standard business day.
Must be a Registered Nurse in the state of Maryland. Must have active Maryland state nursing license or willing to obtain prior to starting. Compact licenses are not accepted as per personal services contract with this site.
The member functions as the Clinical Nurse Specialist/Educator for the Murtha Cancer Center. The employee is an expert in the field and provides high quality care through the utilization of advanced educational preparation and clinical expertise. Certification in the area is desired, however not mandated. The scope and major roles of the CNS include: direct care, consultation, systems leadership, collaboration, coaching, research, and ethical decision-making. Their influence on patients, nurses, and systems are critical in the overall function of the MCC. The CNS functions autonomously and in collaboration with other health care providers, demonstrating self-direction and accountability in the development and implementation of the role. They are responsible and accountable for administering clinical and educational activities to augment the knowledge, skills, and attitudes of all levels of MCC personnel to ensure optimal patient care. They utilize advanced nursing knowledge in assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating educational programs and clinical nursing practice within the framework of the Nursing Services Directorate and the Command.
NOTE: All employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by December 8, 2021. Proof of vaccination or an approved religious or medical accommodation will be required.
- CONSULTATION: Patient, staff, or system-focused interaction between professionals in which the consultant is recognized as having specialized expertise and assists with problem solving.
- Provides consultation to staff nurses, medical staff and interdisciplinary colleagues.
- Initiates consultation to obtain resources as necessary to facilitate progress toward achieving identified outcomes.
- Communicates consultation findings to appropriate parties consistent with professional and institutional standards.
- Analyzes data from consultations to implement practice improvements.
- SYSTEMS LEADERSHIP: the ability to manage change and empower others to influence clinical practice and political processes both within and across systems.
- Facilitates the provision of clinically competent care by staff/team through education, role modeling, teambuilding, and quality monitoring.
- Participates in the development, implementation, and evaluation of structure standards for care; including formulation and/or revision of nursing policies, procedures, and standards of care.
- Performs system level assessments to identify variables that influence nursing practice and outcomes, including but not limited to: population variables, environment, system of health care delivery, financing, and recurring practices that enhance or compromise patient or system outcomes.
- Determines nursing practice and system interventions that will promote safety.
- Uses effective strategies for changing clinician and team behavior to encourage adoption of evidence-based practices and innovations in care delivery.
- Provides leadership in maintaining a supportive and healthy work environment.
- Provides leadership in promoting interdisciplinary collaboration to implement outcome-focused patient care programs meeting the clinical needs of patients, families, populations and communities.
- Uses leadership, team building, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills to build partnerships within and across systems, including communities.
- Considers fiscal and budgetary implications in decision making regarding practice and system modifications: evaluates use of products and services for appropriateness and cost/benefit in meeting care needs, conducts cost/benefit analysis of new clinical technologies, evaluates impact of introduction or withdrawal of products, services, and technologies.
- Leads system change to improve health outcomes through evidence-based practice.
- Evaluates impact of CNS and other nursing practice on systems of care using nurse-sensitive outcomes.
- COLLABORATION: Working jointly with others to optimize clinical outcomes. The CNS collaborates at an advanced level by committing to authentic engagement and constructive patient, family, system, and population-focused problem-solving.
- Establishes collaborative relationships within and across departments that promote patient safety, culturally competent care, and clinical excellence.
- Provides leadership for establishing, improving, and sustaining collaborative relationships to meet clinical needs.
- Practices collegially with medical staff and other members of the healthcare team so that all providers' unique contributions to health outcomes will be enhanced.
- COACHING: Skillful guidance and teaching to advance the care of patients, groups of patients, and the profession of nursing.
- Develops the educational plan and measurable objectives on a yearly basis that are consistent with the Nursing Services Directorate and Command mission and goals.
- Counsels all levels of nursing staff regarding educational and/or professional needs; guides professional growth and development of staff; confers with Service Chief's on performance of nursing staff for evaluation purposes by providing objective and documented information.
- Develops, plans, implements, evaluates and revises major clinical specialty programs; e.g .Chemotherapy & Biotherapy Course, Chemotherapy Basics Course, End-of-Life-Nursing Education-Curriculum, Central Venous Access (Port) training & Competency.
- Provides education to individuals, families, groups and communities to promote knowledge, understanding and optimal functioning across the wellness-illness continuum.
- Participates in pre-professional, graduate and continuing education of nurses and other health care providers: completes a needs assessment as a appropriate to guide interventions with staff; promotes professional development of staff nurses and continuing education activities, implements staff development, mentors nurses to translate research into practice.
- Mentors staff nurses, graduate students and others to acquire new knowledge and skills and develop their careers.
- Mentors health professionals in applying the principles of evidence-based care.
- Uses coaching and advanced communication skills to facilitate the development of effective clinical teams.
- Provides leadership in conflict management and negotiation to address problems in the healthcare system.
- RESEARCH: The work of thorough and systematic inquiry, to include the search for, interpretation, and use of evidence in clinical practice and quality improvement, as well as active participation in the conduct of research.
- Applies research findings to his/her own clinical practice and teaching.
- Interprets research projects and/or findings relevant to critical care nursing practice and/or patient outcomes to nursing staff.
- Collaborates with nursing personnel and members of related disciplines in research activities.
- Assists staff in the identification of research questions and refers them to the Clinical Nurse Researcher for investigation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- The CNS will demonstrate evidence of initiative, creativity, responsibility, accountability, autonomy, and flexibility in problem solving, as well as demonstrate good written and verbal communication, interpersonal skills, teaching, and leadership skills. He/she must be able to perform under stressful conditions. Incumbent applies a wide range of professional nursing theories, principles, and procedures in providing care to hematology and/or oncology patients Plans, provides, oversees, administers, and documents professional patient care, in accordance with nursing standards of practice and established policies/procedures.
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree in nursing required.
Minimum Experience/ Training Requirements: Minimum 6-8 years of relevant work experience required.
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration: Must be a Registered Nurse in the state of Maryland. Certified in basic cardiac life support (BCLS).
Physical Capabilities: Position entails prolonged standing, walking, bending, and stooping. The ability to lift, push, or pull heavy objects may also be required. Prolonged periods of walking and standing are required, as well as the ability to lift, push, or pull objects, greater than 50 pounds.
Work Environment: Incumbent involves everyday exposure to infections, and/or other harmful chemotherapy and radiation agents, hazardous materials, etc. Specific safety and infection control measures may be required, including protective clothing, such as gowns, gloves, masks, hats, shoe covers, and goggles. Exposure to radiation agents is possible, but uncommon; however, exposure to cytotoxic agents is very common and may be an everyday exposure.
Work Arrangement: 100% on-site.
Background/Security: U.S. citizenship required; eligible to obtain and maintain a Tier III Investigation/ Secret Clearance and Common Access Card (CAC).
Level One Personnel is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Level One Personnel aggressively recruits, screens and tests applicants to ensure that only qualified candidates are provided to our clients. We pride ourselves on establishing on-going relationships with our candidates and our clients, allowing us to find the best fit for long-term career satisfaction. By matching the right person with the right job, Level One ensures a win-win situation for business clients and employees.
Level One Personnel
EducationView all jobs at Level One Personnel
Get fresh Clinical Education Specialist jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.