Director of Development & Communications
Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County Redwood City, CA
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Our mission at the Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County is to fight social injustice through civil legal advocacy for people living in poverty. We believe every person should have the basic necessities of life, including safe affordable housing, access to health care, economic security, secure immigration status, an appropriate education, and freedom from violence and abuse.
Legal Aid SMC seeks candidates who share our aspirations for a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace. We are committed to affirming differences in race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity and expression.
The Director of Development & Communications (DDC) is an important member of the leadership team and reports to the Executive Director. As the DDC, you’ll establish the strategic direction for all communication and fundraising initiatives with support from the Executive Director, the Director of Operations, and the Board of Directors.
We’re searching for an energetic leader who is detail-oriented, skilled at prioritizing, and thrives on relationship-building. The DDC will guide projects from concept to completion and isn’t afraid to nudge the Executive Director or Board President to ensure success. The DDC directs individual giving campaigns, including major gifts and annual campaign, and the planning and execution of two annual events.
The DDC oversees all Legal Aid SMC’s fundraising efforts, including annual campaigns, major gift cultivation, and events. You’re just as comfortable coaching ambassadors before they sit down with donors as you are calling a senior partner in a law firm to talk about their event sponsorship. And you’ll spearhead marketing strategies to raise brand awareness year-round and tailor communications for segmented audiences across both traditional and online platforms.
· Planning and Management (15%): You’ll create and implement our annual communications and fundraising plans, using measurable outcomes to shepherd a growing development program and keeping the Executive Director and Board informed of progress. You’ll supervise the Donor Engagement Associate and Development Assistant.
· Events (50%): You’ll plan and implement both annual events, an awards lunch and a golf tournament, working closely with volunteer committees and securing sponsorships from law firms, corporations, and individuals.
· Major Gifts (20%): You’ll work with ambassadors on our staff and Board to secure major gifts, guiding research, strategy, and solicitations. You’ll occasionally join them on donor visits but will largely manage our major stewardship program including four donor cultivation events annually.
· Marketing/Communications (10%): You’ll lead the implementation of our public communications strategy across traditional and online platforms, including building relationships with local media outlets. You’ll analyze metrics to optimize the communications strategy.
· Annual Campaign (5%): You’ll supervise the creation and delivery of our direct appeals and annual impact report. You’ll also oversee the health of our donor database and ensure timely acknowledgement of donations.
· Strong commitment to social justice.
· Five years of successful and progressively responsible experience in fundraising, marketing, and communications.
· Excellent oral and written communications skills, with the ability to express complex ideas clearly and succinctly.
· Experience crafting targeted messages for multiple platforms, including traditional correspondence, website, and social media.
· Demonstrated ability to develop strong partnerships with internal and external stakeholders, including Boards of Directors and organizational leadership.
· Demonstrated organization and project management skills.
· BA or equivalent education or experience.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary: $100,000-$112,500 DOE
Benefits: Legal Aid SMC pays 100% of premium for employee-only health coverage, and up to 95% for employee + dependent coverage depending on plan selected. Legal Aid SMC pays 100% of premium for dental insurance for employee and dependents. Full-time employees receive 16 days of vacation in the first year, plus 13 days of sick leave and 12 paid holidays. Employees become eligible for 3% employer contribution to 401(k) plan after first year of full-time employment.
Temporary Remote Work
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, employees are primarily working remotely, coming into the office as needed to provide essential services in line with public health guidance. All employees are expected to be available to commute to the office as needed. Legal Aid SMC provides computers and other equipment, supplies, and reimbursement for home internet and cell phone service needed to work remotely. We are making plans for reopening and expect to provide for hybrid in-office/remote work schedules where practicable.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and a cover letter describing how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position to M. Stacey Hawver, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legal Aid SMC is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, persons with disabilities, immigrants, older adults, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
Legal Aid Society of San Mateo CountyWhy Work Here?
Fight social justice in a collegial workplace with great benefits and opportunities for professional development.
330 Twin Dolphin DriveRedwood City, CA
BusinessView all jobs at Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County