Law Clerk - Maryland Center for Legal Assistance
- Posted: over a month ago
Maryland Center for Legal Assistance (MCLA) seeks to close the gap in legal services in Maryland by providing brief legal advice from lawyers to unrepresented litigants with civil legal issues. MCLA, through a contract with the Maryland Judiciary, operates Court Help Centers throughout Maryland to provide legal advice to civil litigants in person and over phone, chat, email and videoconference.
The Help Centers deal with a wide range of civil legal matters, including landlord-tenant, consumer matters such as debt collection and credit card cases, child support, and criminal record expungements to remove barriers to obtaining housing, employment, and child custody.
MCLA announces an immediate opening for a Law Clerk position in the Maryland Court Help Center, located in one of our court Help Center offices, specific location to be determined. Successful candidates will demonstrate an ability to handle a broad range of duties in a timely manner.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide support to attorneys and staff assisting self-represented litigants in connection with a wide range of civil legal issues.
- Assist attorneys with self-represented litigants in drafting their pleadings and motions, preparing for trial, completing court forms, and understanding court documents and the law.
- Conduct legal research using Westlaw to assist with preparing internal resources.
- Assist referral coordinators with litigant referrals to community-based organizations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Admitted to an ABA approved law school.
- Strong customer service skills including ability to empathize and assist people who are distressed.
- Ability to communicate complex legal concepts in simple terms.
- Ability to conduct rapid legal research.
- Fluency in Spanish is desirable.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS:
- Use of manual dexterity, tactile, visual, and audio acuity.
- Use of repetitive motion of hands, wrists and feet, prolonged periods of sitting and standing, and sustained visual and mental applications and demands.
- Occasional lifting up to 10 pounds, bending, kneeling pulling, and carrying.
Work duties are typically performed in a general office setting with regular interaction via telephone, videoconference, instant messaging and email, and in-person. Certain work duties may be performed in community setting or remotely.
Typically a semester or summer, hour per week flexible, up to 35 hours per week.
This position is unpaid. However, MCLA can work with candidates and their academic institution to secure credit or funding.
Maryland Legal Aid is committed to equity, justice and inclusion. As an equal opportunity employer, MLA seeks to hire individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives that are reflective of the communities we serve, including people with disabilities, people of color, women and members of traditionally underrepresented groups.
- Please submit a resume, legal writing sample, and cover letter describing your interest and qualifications with your online application.
- References will be required at time of the final interview.
- No telephone calls please. Position will remain open until filled.
Maryland Center for Legal Assistance is committed to equity, justice and inclusion. As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland Center for Legal Assistance seeks to hire employees from diverse backgrounds and perspectives that are reflective of the communities we serve, including people with disabilities, people of color, women, and members of traditionally underrepresented groups.
Legal Aid Bureau
AddressGlen Burnie, MD
LegalView all jobs at Legal Aid Bureau
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?