Development Associate - BESS
- Posted: over a month ago
POSITION: Energy Storage Development Associate
Location: Chicago, IL
Leeward Renewable Energy is a growth-oriented renewable energy company that owns and operates a portfolio of 22 renewable energy facilities across nine states, totaling more than 2,000 MW of installed capacity. We are actively developing new wind, solar, and energy storage projects in energy markets across the U.S., with 17 GW of projects under development spanning over 100 projects. With projects currently under construction and soon to commence construction, we expect to commercialize over 1,000 MW of renewable energy projects in the next two years.
Leeward is a portfolio company of OMERS Infrastructure, a preeminent global infrastructure investor and investment arm of OMERS, one of Canada’s largest defined benefit pension plans with C$105 billion in net assets (as of December 31, 2020).
The BESS (Battery Energy Storage System) Development Associate provides support for a growing organization while addressing new challenges on the grid with cutting-edge energy storage technology. The BESS Development Associate will focus on identifying and securing new energy storage project development sites, negotiating land agreements, managing interconnection requests, and evaluating project viability. This role will also identify and evaluate project acquisitions and strategic partnering opportunities.Essential Functions:
- Support the development team in its BESS site selection efforts via market evaluation, constraint mapping, and permitting analysis
- Acquire real estate rights for development opportunities and maintain relationships with landowners
- Direct resource management campaigns and storage value estimates, leveraging internal and external experts
- Manage external consultants supporting environmental assessment campaigns
- Manage discretionary permitting activities with support from other cross-functional teams
- Collaborate with internal technical services such as legal, power marketing, engineering, and government affairs
- Prepare project budgets, schedules, and RFP responses
- Bachelor’s degree (engineering concentration desirable),
- Minimum 0 to 3 years of previous experience with an interest in renewable energy generation
- Ability to communicate and negotiate effectively with landowners and other stakeholders.
- Technical aptitude and ability to understand the operations of power projects
- Excellent project management skills with a highly organized approach
- Position will require sitting for long periods of time.
- Occasionally lift 20-pound or more
- Willingness and ability to travel at least 50% of time
Leeward Management Services, LLC is committed to employing a diverse workforce, and provides equal employment opportunity for all individuals regardless of race, color, gender, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
TechnologyView all jobs at Leeward Management