General Statement of Duties
The Data Warehouse Architect designs, develops and optimizes data warehouses with flexible and scalable data and ETL architecture to provide enterprise data services for business users and applications for reporting, analytics, and business intelligence. This position is a key lead in the analysis, definition and development of a long-term data plan that will meet the analytical needs of the organization.
Essential Position Functions
- Design and oversee development of ETL and other data movement systems related to data warehousing and analytics solutions
- Create logical and physical data models in support of data warehousing and analytics solution development
- Create and manage data warehouse and analytics architectures for use as reference and as input to solution development projects
- Create and manage architecture documentation and project artifacts such as data models, data dictionaries, ETL data maps, performance requirements, etc.
- Create standards and conventions for data warehouse, analytics, and ETL systems. Lead governance and enforcement of standards
- Collaborate with database administration and other IS teams to ensure data warehouse and analytics solutions are operating according to defined SLAs
- Provide peer review and mentorship to technical staff at all levels, involving updates with significant business impact
- Participate in long-term data warehouse and dashboard architecture planning
- Other duties as assigned by management
Essential Department and Organizational Functions
- Propose and implement process improvements
- Meet deadlines for completion of daily, weekly and monthly tasks
- Maintain agreed upon work schedule
- Demonstrate cooperation and teamwork
- Provide cross-training on specific job responsibilities
- Meet identified business goals that contribute to departmental goals
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- In depth understanding of data integration best practices, leading industry applications and features such as master data management, entity resolution, data quality assessment, metadata management, etc.
- Expert knowledge of normalized and dimensional data modeling practices and implementation techniques and where they are best utilized. Understanding of the distinction between logical and physical data models, their audience and use.
- Ability to create effective logical and physical data models from complex business data requirements. Able to gather data requirements through analysis of system data, analysis of business processes, and interviews with business subject matter experts.
- Expert knowledge of data warehouse lifecycle. Ability to advise and inform IS leadership on best practices for data warehouse operation and management.
- Knowledge of performance tuning to optimize load and query performance in data warehousing and analytics systems. Ability to analyze, diagnose, and recommend solutions for performance issues.
- Expert knowledge of Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) systems and functional requirements. Ability to design high performance ETL systems with appropriate technology for a variety of source data formats such as flat file, XML, and JSON.
- Proficiency with ERWin data modeling tool to create conceptual, logical, and physical data models. Able manage multiple versions of data models.
- Expert proficiency with SQL, especially Microsoft T-SQL. Able to develop complex queries, tuned to optimize performance.
- Proficiency designing and developing data profiling tools for exploration and analysis of source system data content, data quality, and business rules.
- Expert proficiency developing ETL solutions for data warehousing, business intelligence, and analytics systems. Familiar with a variety of ETL tools and techniques.
- Familiarity with health insurance business entities, relationships, and processes preferred.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
- Knowledge of the basic concepts of Managed Care
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 5 years of technical experience in Data and Information architecture design delivering large (multi-terabyte) EDW solutions integrating many heterogeneous data sources including experience with Microsoft SQL Server database and the related suite of products, especially Integration Services and Data Tools and experience with ETL Design, query performance tuning and process optimization skills. Hands on experience in data warehouse technical development with strong understanding of data management life-cycle in establishing end-to-end data warehousing, data management, and analytics architecture and business intelligence solutions. Experience in the healthcare industry preferred.