Project Engineer - Traveling
- Posted: over a month ago
Headquartered in Salt Lake City and supported by 12 offices nationally, at Layton we're builders and we're family! Through delivering predictable outcomes, we've been inspiring confidence in our customers since 1953. We know that behind every project are the highly-skilled people making it happen every day, which makes investing in hiring, developing and retaining the brightest minds a top priority. We want the opportunity to help you achieve your career goals.
Joining Layton isn't just a new job, it's a career move that will provide lasting success for you and your family.
The Project Engineer assists the Project Managers and/or Superintendents to ensure work meets quality standards, owner expectations, and profitability. Assesses and responds to customer needs and cultivates customer relationships.
- Champions "The Layton Way" by delivering predictable outcomes for internal teams, external teams, and customers.
- Ensures that "Constructing with Integrity" is delivered by working with honesty, unity, safety, and quality of work.
- Assures project construction compliance by becoming intimately familiar with the assigned project plans and specifications. Follows up on, reviews, and submits shop drawings, samples, material lists, and other submittals to document compliance.
- Follows up for receipt, review, distribution, and filing of information and documents required for project construction. Includes plan revisions, Requests for Information, Submittals, photos, videos, etc. as required.
- Maintains logs, reflecting the status of shop drawings, requests for clarification, change requests, and proposal requests.
- Reviews plans from the standpoint of constructability. Communicates inconsistencies to the architect via Requests for Information.
- Reviews plans for potential labor saving and other cost-saving methods. Communicates these with the project team and ownership.
- Attends and takes notes for project team meetings, including weekly Owner/Architect meetings and subcontractor coordination meetings. Distributes meeting minutes to participants.
- Works with the superintendent to prepare project schedule, including establishing dates for receiving shop drawings and milestones necessary to avoid delays to the project.
- Participates in project schedule updates as needed.
- Publishes weekly progress reports for assigned projects.
- Assists in bidding and developing scope of work for trade contractors.
- Reviews field procedures and final installation of structural elements to ensure compliance of the work and assists with compiling and preparing documents and trainings for project closeout as required by specifications.
- Observes and analyzes work methods, techniques, and procedures to advise superintendent on improvement of production efficiency.
- Instills safety culture. Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures. Report unsafe activities to supervisor and/or Safety Manager.
- Updates and implements software programs for collaboration, quality, and document management.
- Bachelor's degree in civil engineering, construction management, or related field, or the equivalent education and experience.
- Good written and oral communication skills. Expresses self clearly and effectively when talking with individuals and groups. Demonstrates poise and mastery of language by expressing ideas clearly in writing and using proper organization and grammar.
- Flexibility: Willing to modify plans and behavior when necessary to meet a goal.
- Cooperation: Works well with other people. Takes time to help co-workers, customers and others achieve their goals and assignments.
- Learning Ability: Has the ability and desire to quickly learn new job-related information.
- The ability to understand and apply OSHA and company safety requirements.
- Problem Solving: Solves practical problems and deals with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists; interprets a variety of complex instructions.
- Knows how to manage events to achieve goals, is a self-starter, works well without close supervision, and has a record of achieving aggressive goals.
- The ability to read and understand blueprints.
- One year of previous field experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of scheduling programs preferred.
- Ability to understand and convey basic Spanish commands, questions, and instructions preferred.
- Technical Skills - Ability to learn new software programs quickly and apply them to processes.
Here at Layton, we pride ourselves on offering competitive benefits packages that will suit your needs, including: Medical with HSA option, Dental, Vision, PTO, 401K with match, and more!
This position is anticipated to be a traveling position. If you are not able to travel/relocate, please apply to a position that will best suit your needs.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR ALL - Layton Construction is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
AddressSalt Lake City, UT
ConstructionView all jobs at Layton Construction
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?