The Public Defender is an elected official who has a constitutional duty to provide legal representation to persons in jeopardy of losing their life or liberty who cannot afford to hire a private attorney. Our office employs nearly 200 lawyers plus investigators, mitigation specialists, secretaries, and paralegals to assist with the more than 70,000 cases we handle each year. We recruit locally and nationally with just one goal in mind: Putting together a diverse team of outstanding men and women from all racial and ethnic backgrounds who are able to provide high quality representation to our clients.
Position Type: Full time, entry-level assistant public defender position
Job Description: Assistant Public Defenders are accountable for providing high quality representation to our clients. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- preparing each case efficiently and diligently;
- advising and counseling each client;
- establishing and maintaining a professional relationship with each client;
- effectively and efficiently using investigators, mitigation specialists and other support staff;
- seeking assistance from experts appropriate to the case;
- upholding professional and ethical standards;
- exercising sound judgment; and,
- assisting the Public Defender in carrying out his responsibilities.
- licensed to practice law in the State of Florida;
- up to two years’ experience handling criminal cases;
- participation in a law school trial advocacy course or litigation skills program;
- participation in a law school clinic or externship in which applicant was authorized to provide direct representation in litigation to individuals or entities;
- excellent verbal, computer, and communication skills;
- demonstrated ability to write clearly and concisely;
- bilingual skills: English/Spanish and/or English/Creole helpful but not required;
- willingness to interview clients in jails and in juvenile detention facilities; and,
- valid Driver’s License, proof of automobile insurance and reliable vehicle, as travel is required.
Salary and benefits: $45,000. Extensive entry-level training provided. Full range of state benefits including health insurance, retirement plan, paid vacation, sick leave and holidays.
How to Apply: Complete an Application for Employment at http://www.pdmiami.com/attorney-app.pdf. Submit cover letter explaining your qualifications and reasons for seeking this position. The completed application, resume, cover letter and writing sample, all in PDF format, must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the volume of applications, please do not call or make inquiries via email.
The initial process: After your application materials have been reviewed, you may be required to participate in a screening interview. Candidates who do not reside in Miami-Dade County may be interviewed initially via Skype or other electronic means.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority. Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
Veterans are encouraged to apply.