Laurel House, is a non-profit domestic violence agency in East Norriton, PA dedicated to the vision of ending domestic violence in each life, home, and community. Laurel House provides supportive services, as well as dating violence and domestic violence prevention education through Montgomery County.
Laurel House is currently seeking a Full-Time Domestic Abuse Advocate/Case Worker. The Domestic Abuse Advocate/Case Worker is responsible for providing immediate crisis and safety response, as well as case management, to victims of domestic violence when contacted by law enforcement and/or medical professionals, and to assist in coordinating community response efforts. The person in this role will work Monday through Friday 11am-7pm.
- Provides immediate crisis and safety counseling to victims of domestic violence.
- Provides case management, as needed, to victims referred to the program.
- Accompanies victims to obtain Protection from Abuse Orders, preliminary hearings, and other hearings as appropriate.
- Follows up with victims referred by police departments, medical personnel, and other agencies and provides victims with referrals, information, services and/or support as needed.
- Helps provide systems advocacy to police departments, the County District Attorney’s office, District Judges, medical personnel and other victim service agencies
- Maintains communication between assigned hospitals, police departments and legal systems on behalf of victims of domestic violence.
- Provides on-going outreach to police departments and medical facilities.
- Assists in ensuring that we are represented at community events such as health fairs, informational tables, etc. as needed.
- Keeps statistical information and ensures accurate recordkeeping.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- Bilingual capability preferred (English/Spanish)
- Understanding of domestic abuse and related issues
- Understanding of the civil and criminal justice systems, especially as related to crisis response
- Ability to work independently and on a team
- Ability to handle crisis situations
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Valid PA Driver’s license and automobile insurance
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work, or in the field (i.e. police station, medical facility, courthouse)
- Travel is involved; need consistent use of a vehicle for field work (mileage reimbursed)
- Must be able to be flexible; training is 9-5 or 8-4, help fill in when needed, and being “on-call” on some evenings/nights/weekends/holidays