Metabolic Modeling Research Scientist
LanzaTech Skokie, IL
- Posted: over a month ago
Mission-driven LanzaTech is a revolutionary solution to climate change, capturing pollution to clean our skies and oceans and create new high value products for a sustainable future. LanzaTech captures pollution to make fuels and chemicals, including sustainable jet fuel and products you use every day. The technology is like retrofitting a brewery onto an emission source like a steel mill or a landfill site, but instead of using sugars and yeast to make beer, pollution is converted by biology to fuels and chemicals! Imagine a day when your plane is powered by recycled emissions, when your yoga pants started life as pollution from a steel mill. This future is possible using LanzaTech technology.
- 2021 Biofuels Digest #1 Hottest Company in Renewable Fuels, Chemicals & Biomaterials
- 2020 Biofuels Digest #3 Best Company to work for in the Advanced Bioeconomy
- 2020 Fast Company World Changing Company
- 2020 CNBC #43 on Top 50 Disrupter Companies list
- 2019 Chicago Innovation Awards Winner
- 2019 Fortune Magazine - Change the World - Companies to watch
- 2019 Kirkpatrick Chemical Engineering Achievement Award
- LanzaTech is committed to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion as part of our mission, culture & core values
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
About the role
The leading gas fermenting company in the biofuel and biochemical field, Lanzatech operates reactors at all scales, from the laboratory to commercial plants, including the largest dedicated gas fermentation R&D facility in the world. Computational Biology supports fermentation and strain development work across the organization, applying metabolic modeling, metagenomics, variant analysis, omics (proteomics and transcriptomics), and other approaches for continuous improvement of our biocatalyst and gas fermentation process.
As a research scientist within Computational Biology, you will play a critical role in supporting LanzaTech’s business objectives. Your work will focus on the following areas:
- Modeling metabolism using stochiometric, kinetic, and thermodynamic analysis.
- Delivering strain designs generated using a variety of approaches (such as the Opt* family of tools) for implementation by metabolic engineers and synthetic biologists.
- Identifying candidate pathways for production of biochemicals based upon implementation complexity, thermodynamics, kinetics, and other constraints.
- Maintaining and expanding our in-house metabolic modeling family.
- Integrate omics data (e.g. transcriptomics) to constrain metabolic flux predictions
- Developing of metabolic modeling infrastructure (databases, model deployment tools, and so forth) to speed modeling exercises.
- Collaborating with cross-department technical teams for project planning and execution, including US government grant applications and projects.
- Executing research projects using metabolic modeling techniques to lower early-stage R&D technical risk, including supporting technoeconomic analysis work.
- PhD degree in bioinformatics, computational or quantitative biology, chemical engineering, or another related major.
- Strong publication or patent record in the metabolic modeling field
- Demonstrated experience applying metabolic modeling techniques (stochiometric) to generate metabolic engineering strategies that maximize product yields and selectivities
- Strong understanding of microbial energy and carbon metabolism in model or non-model organisms.
- Prior experience with RNASeq data analysis
- Prior experience creating new metabolic models using automated reconstruction tools (RAVEN, CarveMe, etc) or improving existing ones using literature and experimental data
- Prior experience with (R or Python) and Matlab programming languages
- Prior experience using OptKnock, OptFlux, or other tools for strain design
- >2 years’ experience working in an industrial biotechnology or other R&D environment delivering strain designs
- Experience designing novel constraint-based algorithms using solvers such as Gurobi, CPLEX, or other tools
- Prior experience utilizing kinetic, resource allocation, and/or thermodynamic modeling techniques for predicting metabolic fluxes
- Demonstrated track record of novel strain design algorithm development, especially incorporating transcriptomics/proteomics/metabolomics datasets
- Experience using machine learning or statistical models in conjunction with metabolic models for genotype-to-phenotype predictions
- Experience performing microbial community metabolic modeling
- Familiarity with Linux operating system
Powered by JazzHR
ScienceView all jobs at LanzaTech