News Editor - Perry County News
Landmark Community Newspapers Tell City, IN
- Posted: over a month ago
Perry County News
Tell City, Indiana
The Perry County News, a twice-weekly newspaper publishing on Monday and Thursday with over 4,000 circulation, has an immediate opening for a full-time news editor with a strong career potential. We are looking for someone who likes to write on a variety of subjects and can find a story anywhere. The right person will aspire to achieve future potential responsibilities. The News Editor will oversee the day-to-day operations of the news department at the Perry County News and Spencer County Journal-Democrat. We are located in Perry County, Indiana on the shores of the Ohio River. The newspaper offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) and paid time off benefits. The Perry County News can also be found online at www.perrycountynews.com.
- Bachelor's Degree in Journalism preferred; practical journalism experience necessary, including copy editing, reporting, design and pagination
- Management & supervisory experience preferred.
- Proficiency in using InDesign for page layout
- Proficiency in using Photoshop
- Strong grammar, spelling, writing, interviewing and researching skills required
- Strong communication, organization and time management skills
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment; produce, on average, two stories a day; meet frequent deadlines
- Must be able to manage multiple priorities and projects while meeting multiple deadlines in conjunction with the day-to-day newspaper duties.
- Display strong computer skills with an understanding of how the website and social media support the print product.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work night and weekend hours
- Reliable transportation and a valid driver's license is required
- Write accurate, compelling and balanced stories meeting required deadlines
- Assign and cover local events, school board meetings and other activities, as well as write and/or assign feature stories
- Provide guidance and oversight to our sister publications in Spencer County, IN; Journal-Democrat & Lincoln's Country (shopper)
- Help maintain online content for www.perrycountynews.com
- Update newspaper social media accounts.
- Edit and proofread pages on production day
- Practice fair and balanced reporting, check facts, spelling, grammar and sources
- Set up interviews, assign stories and photos, and coordinate content and photos for special sections
- Lay out some pages for Perry County News and sister publication, Spencer County Journal-Democrat using InDesign
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Landmark Community Newspapers
AddressTell City, IN
Arts and EntertainmentView all jobs at Landmark Community Newspapers