Veterinary Assistant I
- Vision , Medical , Dental , Paid Time Off , Life Insurance , Retirement
Position Title: Veterinary Technician Assistant
Department: All Departments (Ophthalmology, Emergency/Critical Care, Anesthesia/Surgery, Internal Medicine, Radiology and Neurology)
Bridgetown Veterinary Emergency and Referral (BVER) is a specialty animal hospital located in Portland Oregon. We are looking for veterinary technician assistants to join our brand-new hospital. We offer specialty and emergency veterinary services and will have veterinarians in Ophthalmology, Surgery, Internal Medicine, Neurology, Emergency and Critical Care. We are a culture and medicine focused family who believe in doing the right thing for our employees and the veterinary community. We offer competitive wages based on experience and knowledge, a comprehensive benefits package, bonus opportunity as well as financial support if the candidate is interested in pursuing additional CE or in obtaining their CVT or VTS. This role requires a love of teamwork and sense of personal integrity as well as the desire to learn, because we are here to help you acquire new skills. If you are motivated to learn, looking for job advancement opportunities and most importantly, want to join a family, this may very well be the job for you!
Our Team Members also have the opportunity to give back to communities around the globe through our partnership with World Vets. Each year, we send a group of doctors and support staff abroad to help pets in need and support programs that nurture healthy relationships between people and animals.
• Assist doctors and technicians with the administration of medications, patient restraint, patient monitoring, patient triage and maintenance of accurate medical records.
• Perform laboratory tests and take radiographs.
• Operate and maintain hospital equipment including EKG, fluid pump, syringe pump, scales, anesthetic monitors and machines, etc.
• Fill prescriptions, calculate and administer medications, maintain proper documentation, logging, and security of controlled drugs.
• Feed patients as prescribed; record appetites; recognize and report any unusual conditions or abnormal behaviors.
• Maintain the cleanliness of the hospital each day; clean equipment, kennels and facilities using chemicals and supplies; ensure the safe use of chemicals; complete laundry.
Essential Job Functions:
• Triage and obtaining pertinent and detailed patient history
• Experience handling/restraint of dogs and cats, exotics would be a bonus!
• Help with medical treatments and patient care per DVM and Technician instruction.
• Prepare prescriptions and communicate discharge orders to clients
• Handle and process appointments and hospitalized cases
• Demonstrate proper restraint and techniques for procedures and radiology
• Provide patient updates, create and review financial estimates with clients and help with patient discharge
• Patient care (phlebotomy, IVC placement, medication administration, nursing tasks)
• Recover patients from general anesthesia
• Organize and maintain procedure area and department-specific equipment, in addition to assisting other departments in daily upkeep.
• Flexibility with work hours and able to work additional hours when necessary
• Patient, enthusiastic, reliable, have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Able to perform moderately physically demanding work, that requires a lot of lifting (up to 50 pounds), cleaning, and constant motion.
• Applicant must be able to multitask efficiently
• Calm demeanor
• Positive attitude
• Team player
Qualifications: Minimum Qualifications/Requirements:
• High school diploma, GED or equivalent combination of education, and/or experience.
• One or more years’ experience in veterinary environment performing above duties.
• Ability to work with or around sick animals, potentially hazardous materials, cleaning chemicals, gas anesthetics, zoonotic diseases, and unpleasant odors.
• Requires knowledge of hospital procedures, treatment protocols; computer systems; and terminology used in a veterinary hospital.
• Competitive pay
• Health, Dental and Vision insurance
• Scrub Allowance
• Employee discount
• Life insurance
• Paid time off
• Professional development assistance
• Shift differential for overnight work
Lakefield Veterinary GroupPortland, OR
Get fresh Veterinary Assistant I jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.