Summary: Assists and manages the enhancement of both technical and financial performance of the department under the direction of the Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
1. Assists Mozzarella Production Manager in coordinating production activity, planning and scheduling manpower consistent with production requirements.
2. Analyzes and evaluates information concerning daily operations and how these results positively or negatively affect plant performance.
3. Ensures that production specifications are in line with Company standards and ensures that the loss of fat and protein is minimized (and consistent with the budget). Takes corrective action immediately when necessary.
4. Utilizes ZD as a manufacturing process control tool and enforces the on time accuracy of the information with their staff.
5. Utilizes daily checklist and follows up on corrective actions that are needed.
6. Ensures that the EOD documentation is filled out properly and in a timely manor.
7. Reviews regulatory charts, pasteurization and c.i.p., and production related charts daily. Follows up on corrective actions needed to insure their accuracy
8. Reports production problems and/or concerns to the Mozzarella Production Manager.
9. Works closely with Quality Control Manager and Laboratory personnel on a wide variety of areas including: quality of raw materials, product specifications good manufacturing and sanitation practices.
10. Works closely with Maintenance on a variety of issues related to equipment and plant maintenance. Assists in coordinating preventive maintenance program
11. Works closely with RSPC staff to monitor inventories of milk, cream, starter and all other materials required for production.
12. Works closely with Mozzarella Packaging staff to insure product is provided in spec and on time, works as a team to resolve any issues.
13. Coordinates sanitation and housekeeping functions with Plant Sanitarian.
14. Continuously evaluates manpower to attempt to reduce labor cost.
15. Continually evaluates staff/department performance, recommends and initiates training, development, communication and discipline, as appropriate.
16. Suggests and debates alternative methods and procedures in solving problems.
Background in dairy/cheese/ice cream production strongly preferred.
Must have food safety experience.
Strong communication abilities, written and verbal.
Knowledge of computer software and proficient in Excel.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelors' degree in Dairy Science, Chemistry or Biology preferred.