Under general direction, is responsible for interpreting dialogue, documents or other materials essential to criminal proceedings including juvenile, environmental and community court proceedings from English to Spanish and Spanish to English for the court. Working conditions are primarily in an office environment. Exercises no supervision.
Essential Job Functions
• Interprets from English to Spanish and Spanish to English in criminal proceedings to include juvenile, environmental, community, magistrate, family violence, and parking courts.
• Translates documents and related materials used in Municipal Court, including the magistrate court, and others as requested.
• Assists court staff with clerical duties, including typing, filing, faxing, copying, answering phones, and locating information on mainframe.
• Utilizes professionalism and diplomacy when dealing with hostile or violent individuals; provides general information to the public.
• Communicates and comes in contact with the general public, law enforcement officials, and other professionals.
• Exercises expert judgment in translating witness testimony during trial.
• Uses general discretion to complete work assignments.
• Reviews National Crime Information Center, Texas Crime Information Center, Texas Department of Public Safety (NCIC/TCIC/DPS) databases for criminal histories, warrant records and driving records.
• Updates NCIC/TCIC databases with warrant records and conviction records reported to DPS.
• Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
• Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university.
Applicants for this position must pass a Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) fingerprint-based background check and maintain CJIS eligibility. Due to CJIS requirements related to system access, the following will result in being disqualified for this position: Felony Convictions, Felony Deferred Adjudication, Class A & B Misdemeanor Deferred Adjudication, Class B Misdemeanor Convictions, an Open Arrest for Any Criminal Offense (Felony or Misdemeanor), and Family Violence Convictions.
• Possession of Interpreter License from Texas Department of Licensing Regulation (TDLR).
• Valid Texas Crime Information Center and National Crime Information Center (TCIC/NCIC) Certification within one (1) year of employment and re-certified yearly.
• Must maintain Texas Law Enforcement Telecommunications System Access (TLETS) eligibility for continued employment in position (TLETS provides access to TCIC and NCIC).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of the written and spoken English and Spanish languages, both formal and informal.
• Knowledge of the translation modes, including simultaneous, consecutive and sight.
• Knowledge of legal procedures and court decorum.
• Knowledge of legal terminology and ability to listen attentively for long periods of time.
• Skill in utilizing a personal computer and associated software programs.
• Ability to operate a computer keyboard and other basic office equipment.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff, general public and other professionals.
• Ability to occasionally work non-traditional hours.