Under immediate supervision, is responsible for performing a variety of secretarial and clerical duties. Exercises no supervision.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs a variety of clerical duties in assigned department including data entry, filing, distributing mail, answering telephones, and taking messages.
- Responds to inquiries about department services and activities; assists visitors as necessary.
- Maintains conference room calendars.
- May organize and maintain filing systems; maintains records related to specific area of assignment.
- May respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries.
- May prepare public relations data, brochures and handouts.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent (recognized by the Texas Education Agency or a regional accrediting agency.
- One (1) year of general office or administrative experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of modern office procedures, business letter writing, proper telephone etiquette, and, depending on the individual job requirements, clerical techniques.
- Knowledge of basic mathematical principles and methods.
- Skill in utilizing a personal computer and associated software programs
- Knowledge of English usage, spelling, and punctuation.
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, equipment
- Ability to interpret and apply city and assigned department policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Ability to learn data retrieval and input methods.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public and City staff.
Physical requirements include occasional lifting/carrying of 5 pounds; visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer keyboard and basic office equipment. Subject to sitting, standing, reaching, walking, twisting and kneeling to perform the essential functions. Working conditions are primarily inside an office environment.