LaSalle Lumber Co. seeks a Planer Superintendent.
Education and/or Experience
- Minimum 5 years production experience.
- Minimum of 3 years in a supervisory capacity.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing change
- Demonstrated experience planning, goal-setting and project management
- University Degree or Technical Diploma in a relevant field preferred
- Knowledge of lumber manufacturing processes and equipment
- Knowledge of maintenance processes
- Proven leadership ability
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to maintain effective partnerships
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
The Planer Superintendent is responsible for finishing and packaging rough lumber by utilizing a fully trained crew, exercising proper safety procedures, optimizing productivity and recovery, maintaining by-product quality, and maintaining production goals for the department.
The Planer Superintendent instructs employees on safe and productive work habits and ensures proper reporting and recording of maintenance and safety problems.
Primary challenges to this position include meeting production targets, maintaining staffing requirements within budget, meeting quality guidelines and maintaining alignment between all departments through effective communication.
The position has the authority to train and direct the workforce within the prescribed policies, procedures, and regulations of the operation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the Plant Manager in the future planning of the operation by participating in development of long term recapitalization plans.
- Accountable for planer performance and evaluating and recommending/implementing changes to manning, machinery and maintenance processes that improve reliability, productivity, quality and safety.
- Ensure the department operates in a safe manner in accordance to work safe rules, regulations, and policies.
- Work with all staff and employees to recognize and eliminate safety hazards.
- Ensure staff and employees are trained in safe work practices and are compliant with regulations and policies.
- Ensure that all aspects of the mills safety program are delivered to employees in a timely and effective manner;
- Support employee development through coaching, feedback and performance management.
- Oversee the day to day activities of direct reports and ensure they have the tools, resources, and training required to do their job to the highest standards.
- Work with supervisors to ensure consistent application or company policies
- Work with supervisors and other management to ensure employee issues and concerns are heard and dealt with in a timely manner.
- Develops and implements programs to ensure product meets standard at each job function and implements corrective action through Supervisors.
- Analyzes quality control information provided and initiates corrective action plans as required.
- Analyzes raw materials on a daily basis, makes adjustments as required to meet production budget levels.
- Analyzes production daily, develops and implements action plans to deal with negative variances, identifies the reasons and promotes its continued implementation
- Analyzes maintenance work on a daily basis, makes adjustments necessary to ensure an operational plant. In the cases of positive variances, identifies the reasons and promotes its continued implementation. Manages the positive variance to the optimum benefit of the Company first and then the Planer Department.
- Communicates variances to the Maintenance Superintendent; works with the Maintenance Superintendent to sets action plans to correct negative variances.
- Accountable to develop and deliver the departmental budget.
- Participate in the budgeting process for the annual plan and major equipment expenditures by submitting cost estimates.
- Approve all purchase requisitions within the department
- Manage the department to budget and provide variance analysis
- Participate in capital planning and implementation process
- Identifies areas of potential improvement, instituting and/or recommending changes.
- Maintains knowledge and awareness regarding new products, practices, techniques and equipment in the industry.