La Salle Academy is a Catholic, college preparatory school, sponsored by the Brothers of the Christian Schools (De La Salle Christian Brothers). Located in the heart of Providence, RI for over 140 years, La Salle Academy currently serves a diverse student body of nearly 1,500 students from grades 7 through 12. The majority of current students live in the 39 cities and towns of Rhode Island or in southeastern Massachusetts.
The role of the General Maintenance Staff worker is to aid in the general upkeep, repair, cleaning, and preventative maintenance of the entire campus and all facilities. This requires the use of small machinery, various hand/power tools, lifting/moving larger objects, and other similar duties. May require second shift and/or weekend hours from time to time. The position reports to the Director of Facilities and is a full-time, 12 month per year position.
Typical Education and Experience:
The ideal candidate will hold a minimum of a high school diploma with 2-4 years experience. The candidate should have experience in a similar general maintenance position or in one of the trades (plumbing, electrical, mechanical, carpentry, etc).
Overview of Responsibilities:
• Perform varying repair and preventive maintenance tasks on school buildings and facilities, sometimes of a complex nature.
• Troubleshoot, repair, and maintain minor plumbing, mechanical and electrical equipment.
• Install minor modifications to buildings.
• Perform painting and minor carpentry tasks.
• Utilize a wide variety of hand and power tools.
• Assist in the movement of furniture or other large objects throughout the campus.
• Perform work orders at the direction of the Director of Facilities.
• Conduct preventive maintenance inspections, housekeeping inspections, and program inspections.
• Carry a cell phone and respond to emergency calls.
• Purchase supplies and oversee the work of subcontractors.
• Complete all purchase orders for submittal in a timely manner
• Clean assigned building common areas
• Ensure cleanliness of the overall facility, including removal of trash and litter
• Other duties as assigned
Typical Level of Interaction:
The position requires frequent interaction and communication with all School constituents while completing necessary duties. This will include administrators, department heads, faculty, student families, and campus guests.
May assist in supervising student summer help. This role reports to the Director of Facilities.
• Ability to learn established processes – Recognizes the importance of learning and motivates others by own enthusiasm. Can learn and reproduce current department practices with reasonable assistance.
• Ability to work nights/flexible schedule – With reasonable notice, must be able to work nights or weekends for varying school events and/or to cover for other staff members working those times.
• Communication skills – Must be able to communicate with the varying school constituents with respect and professionalism at all time.
• Independence – Ability to work independently to complete assigned tasks within a reasonable time frame with minimal direct supervision.
• Problem solving skills – Considers all factors when addressing problems and uses judgement as appropriate. Also recognizes when a problem is beyond one’s knowledge base and seeks additional input.
All prospective employees of La Salle Academy must be able to clear a background check.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to listen, physically direct, and speak. The employee is required to stand; walk; and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus. The employee will be required to lift 50 pounds.
The noise level in the work environment is moderately quiet; however, it may be necessary to work with machinery (boilers, small emgines, HVAC, etc) which may have greater volumes.
Salary & Benefits:
Competitive hourly rate and full benefit package, including health insurance and discounted tuition. Hourly rate will vary with degree of experience and certifications by the selected candidate.
Interested candidates should submit resume, cover letter, and a minimum of three references for consideration.