This position is located within the Controls Engineering Department, reporting to the Head of Controls Engineering and supporting the Product Development Engineering Division. The development team conducts research and develops cutting edge technologies from concept through commercial product realization using high energy pulsed laser systems as applied to metal surface enhancement, peen forming of metals, and non-destructive testing of composite materials. The individual will work collaboratively as part of our core technology team to develop next generation product solutions to meet customer and market needs. This position is a highly technical role that combines principles of control theory, process controls engineering, human factors engineering, functional safety and robotics.
To be successful, the Control Systems Engineer must possess a combination of skills and knowledge regarding the design of control systems, software engineering, robotics, and dynamic system modeling and simulation. Although this is a technical role, the position also requires well-rounded skills to facilitate internal and external communication and enhance business relationships.
- Analyze system and customer requirements to develop laser peening system solutions that deliver high energy pulsed lasers on target
- Design PLC software and human machine interface systems to operate high-energy lasers and associated automation systems.
- Develop and integrate system level solutions involving PLCs, robotics, visualization, energy monitoring, and instrumentation systems
- Develop PLC software for using ladder logic, function block, and structured text-based programming languages
- Design and analyze diagnostic and predictive capabilities for laser systems
- Collaborate with Mechanical, Electrical, and Optics design engineers to develop innovative system solutions to meet customer needs
- Analyze fleet performance data to identify product improvement opportunities
- Contribute to preparation of proposals, budgets, and written reports.
- Create technical reports, drawings, and perform design review presentations
- Evaluate technical specifications related to process or product design objectives.
- B.S. in Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical, or Controls Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 to 5 years of successful experience in related field and successful demonstration of key qualifications.
- Demonstrated expertise in developing automated machine software using ladder logic, function block and text-based PLC languages.
- Experience developing automation systems using Siemens, Allen-Bradley, or Beckhoff control systems.
- Experience in developing HMI/SCADA systems using Wonderware Intouch, or System Platform
- Development of HMI and alarm management systems in accordance with EEMUA 191 and ISA101.
- Experience with industrial controls networks such as EtherCAT, EtherNet/IP, Profinet, or ControlNet
- Working experience integrating robotic systems with industrial control systems. Experience with Kuka or Motoman robotic systems is preferred.
- Good technical writing, documentation, and presentation skills
- Experience reading mechanical drawings and electrical schematics
Our Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or any other protected class.
Our Company is a fun and challenging place to work with a casual atmosphere. Come join the successful and growing company that pioneered the industry.
Smoke-free and drug-free environment.
Compensation will be based on qualifications and experience.
Competitive benefits package including medical, dental and 401k.