Applied Mechanics Engineer
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Purpose/Position Summary: This job is Not a remote position, but has a flexible work schedule and is located in Kodak, TN, about 20 minutes east of downtown Knoxville, TN. The Applied Mechanics Engineer will be a member of the LISEGA INC Engineering Department, Applied Mechanics Unit (AMU). The LISEGA INC AMU generates detailed design and engineering stress analysis reports to support LISEGA INC standard component supports, restraints, and hanger products and external customers’ design basis documents. Utilizing proven state-of-the-art methodologies, the LISEGA INC AMU calculates the design parameters associated with the safe and efficient functioning of component supports, restraints, and hanger products as related to piping and pressurized fixed and rotating equipment. In addition to providing the supporting applied mechanics analyses (encompassing both fluid and solid mechanics) in accordance with the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section III and ASME B31.1 Power Piping Code, all of the work within the LISEGA INC AMU is completed under either LISEGA INC in-house or ASME NQA-1 quality assurance requirements and the respective U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission guidelines.
- Generate technical requirements for the LISEGA INC standard component supports, restraints, and hanger products under direction of more senior personnel.
- Preparation of engineering and design reports that effectively communicate the inputs, references, assumptions, analytical methods, and the conclusions of the analyses as can be supported by sound engineering principals. In addition, must have the ability to author conference publications and journal articles consistent with the needs of LISEGA INC.
- Perform supporting applied mechanics analyses (fluid and solid mechanics) utilizing symbolic math software, advanced finite element analysis, stress classification in accordance with the ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code hopper diagram, and employ other computer aided engineering tools.
- Perform seismic response spectrum and time history analyses consistent with the requirements defined in the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section III, the ASME B31.1 Power Piping Code, and ASME B31.3 Process Piping Code . In addition, must have fundamental understanding of vibrations and dynamics of rigid bodies in an effort to provide customer solutions to piping and rotating equipment problems.
- Perform structural analysis of supporting steel structures, baseplates, structural shapes, bolting, and steel connections consistent with project specific codes and standards including, but not limited to, International Building Code , National Building Code of Canada , ASCE-7 , AISC Steel Construction Manual , and Canadian Standards Association .
- Prepare and review engineering specifications, drawings, and other documentation that communicate the design and technical aspects of components, systems, and structures associated with the design and analysis of complete piping and supporting systems.
- Perform other engineering and design duties as assigned.
CORE COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, the individual should demonstrate competencies in performing the essential functions of this position by performing satisfactorily in each of the following competencies.
- Problem solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and reviews information appropriately. Uses own judgment and acts independently; seeks input from other team members as appropriate for complex or sensitive situations.
- Oral/written communication: Listens carefully and speaks clearly and professionally in all situations. Edits work for accuracy and clarity. Is able to create, read and interpret complex written information. Ability to develop strong interpersonal networks within the organization.
- Planning/organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities, organizes personal and project timelines and deadlines, tracks project timelines and deadlines, and uses time efficiently.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent interruptions, changes, delays, and unexpected events.
- Dependability: Consistently on time and at work, responds to management expectations and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Safety and security: Observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials properly.
- Education: A minimum of a M.S. or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Civil/Structural Engineering, or Engineering Mechanics from an ABET accredited university within the US or Canada.
- A current holder of a Fundamentals of Engineering certification or and EIT and working towards a Professional Engineer (P.E.) registration in US or Canada is required.
- Experience: A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in engineering design and analysis of mechanical components, structural design and analysis, structural hardware, piping and/or pressure vessels. Familiarity with the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code , Sections II, III, V, VIII (Divisions 1 and 2), IX, and ASME B31.1 is preferred, but demonstrated ability to perform elementary finite element analysis may be substituted. Ability to prepare and review piping and vessel component support specifications for the design, analysis, and fabrication of the same. Ability to be qualified in accordance with Appendix XXIII of ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code , Section III is highly desired.
- Skills: Excellent technical writing skills. Good verbal communication, computer, presentation and interpersonal skills. Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to manage complex engineering tasks with multiple work phases.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter outlining your qualifications to the for the position to: email@example.com
LISEGA, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or job applicants on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, physical or mental impairment, veteran status, or any other status or condition protected by applicable federal or state laws, except where a bona fide occupational qualification applies.
370 East Dumplin Valley RoadKodak, TN
Get fresh Applied Mechanics jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.