The Staff / Cost Accountant will support the Finance department by capturing and analyzing information related to operating costs including labor, materials, and overhead. This role will also support Staff Accountant monthly deliverables and will provide timely and accurate financial information with regard to strategic initiatives and financial issues. The individual will research and analyze financial information to help the company make well informed decisions.
Areas of Responsibility:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Actively participate in the month-end close process.
- The individual in this position has access to various reports and records, which are considered as being of a highly confidential and classified nature. None of this material or information may be disclosed or passed on to any outside source either during or after.
- Prepares spreadsheets, charts and graphs to illustrate financial reports and costing models. This includes prior, current and projected costs and expenditures to provide a basis for comparison and evaluation. Assembles and summarizes data, presents findings, analysis, and recommendations.
- Prepares cost analysis for support of pricing decisions.
- Prepares and maintains development of product costs for inventory valuations. Preparation includes labor rates and overhead rate development and analysis.
- Supports company financial objectives by providing timely analysis and recommendations.
- Assist with monthly variance analysis / explanations.
Other Skills and Abilities:
Preparation of monthly balance sheet and income statement account reconciliations.
- Maintenance of the general ledger to ensure proper classification of all accounting transactions.
- Preparation of monthly journal entries.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Advanced financial accounting and reporting expertise.
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year end close process.
- Strong business acumen to include general understanding of business principles.
- Strong financial aptitude in areas of corporate finance, financial diagnosis, planning and strategy.
- Ability to recognize and correct departures from budgetary practices and procedures, including trend analysis.
- Must be able to demonstrate insightful use of financial analysis techniques, tools, and concepts to provide practical counsel to departmental managers to drive business results.
- Ability to understand and facilitate the integration of business processes, people, and relevant technology in order to identify, configure and communicate useful information and to provide practical business leadership to drive business decision making across the company.
- Must have strong analytical (quantitative as well as qualitative) skills including building models, and prior data mining.
- High level of collaboration, research, analytical, problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Independent thinker with ability to troubleshoot day-to-day events.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while meeting deadlines.
- Flexible and proactive.
- Detail oriented.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of accuracy.
- Must have a strong knowledge of budgetary management and accounting principles, procedures, and terminology.
- Display a general technical aptitude and willingness to learn
- Able to communicate with co-workers and management in a courteous and professional manner.
Bachelor’s degree in Finance or accounting related field.
Minimum of five years related experience in financial analysis, business administration, general accounting, cost accounting, economic analysis, systems analysis, personnel administration or related area.
Well informed in current financial subjects, tax laws, and business principles.
Outstanding presentation, reporting and communication skills required.
Microsoft Office, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Advanced Excel (pivot tables, macros, etc.). PowerBI or Tableau, RPA.
Experience with ERP systems including system implementation.
LGC, Biosearch Technologies
Why Work Here?Biosearch TechnologiesTM provides products and services for genomic analysis that support mission critical applications for global customers in agrigenomics and human healthcare. The portfolio offers integrated tools and technologies to accelerate sample preparation, amplification, cloning and expression, next generation sequencing (NGS), custom oligonucleotide synthesis, nucleic acid chemistry reagents, and oligo therapeutics.
LGC offers great opportunities for career growth, excellent benefits and the ability to be a part of creating science for a safer world!