The Patient Service Representative role is to provide extraordinary care to patients through friendly, caring, courteous, and professional services. The PSR ensures that patients feel welcome and comfortable while maintaining professionalism as they coordinate services such as scheduling of appointments, registration, cashiering functions, and data entry of appropriate patient information.
- Acknowledges and greets all patients entering the building
- Checks-in patient encounters as follows, but not limited to:
- Verifies patients’ demographic information, insurance, and pharmacy location
- Verifies and ensures patients’ driver’s license is scanned and imported into patient chart
- If required, collects patients’ co-payment
- Collects account balances for all patient encounters
- Verifies and ensures HIPAA release and consent verification form is completed and on file for every patient
- Web enables all new patients and instructs patient on how to access the patient portal and to complete paperwork prior to appointment.
- Verify that new patients have completed necessary paperwork by checking all new patient appointments 1-2 days in advance. If not completed, call patient
- Monitors daily insurance eligibility for current day’s appointments via automated batch job within EMR Emdeon system.
- If insurance cannot be verified or is discontinued, a “Not Verified” report is reviewed with appropriate changes made to patient record
- A note is recorded in patient appointment screen to verify with patient
- Monitors physicians’ schedule to ensure patients’ appointments are scheduled appropriately for appointment reminder calls (via e-messenger) and if not, patients’ schedule is rectified and verified with patient at least 2 days in advance
- Reviews future dated appointments in resource schedule for any generic or questionable blocks pertaining to patient appointments verifies and rectifies with the appropriate nursing staff
- Monitors incoming emails via patient portal for appointment requests throughout the day and processes request by responding/contacting patient to schedule appointment
- Monitors incoming emails via patient portal for demographic information updates throughout the day and imports data into patient’s chart.
- Responds back to patients who have left voice messages throughout the work day in a timely manner.
- Schedules ancillary tests for Echos/Vasculars, Ultrasounds, and EMGs and ensure that all forms of communication with the patient are documented in the test order
- If needed, follow up to schedule patient in a timely manner and assign to nurse if no contact with patient after 2 attempts
- Reschedules patient appointments as required.
- Provides a “visitor pass” to ALL visitors and ensures all visitors sign in accurately and sign out upon departure
- Responsible throughout the day to clean up and organize reception area including, but not limited to
- Organizing magazines
- Straightening chairs
- Water plants (as needed)
- Straightening blinds
- Clean countertops (as needed)
- Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Attributes:
Must have proficient knowledge, skills and abilities in the following areas:
- High School graduate
- 1 + years of proven work experience in customer service
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Skilled in the use of computers.
- Must be a detail-oriented person
- Ability to work within approved procedures
- Must be able to multi-task
- Must be able to receive constructive criticism
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients, physicians and coworkers in an effective manner.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information and assures patient rights are protected.
- Must be a patient focused individual.
- Must be mature, trustworthy and respectful to patients and co-workers.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Must be able to adapt to workflow changes
- Must possess high expectations of self and other team members.
- Demonstrate sound work ethics.
As a premier mid-sized Patient Centered Medical Home, we strive to work as physicians and associates to competently and compassionately promote and provide excellent health care to the individuals, families and communities we serve.
LAWN MEDICAL CENTER S CWe are an office that consists of 9 physicians and 2 nurse practitioner. We specialize in Family Practice and Internal Medicine. As a premier mid-sized Patient Centered Medical Home, we strive to work as physicians and associates to competently and compassionately promote and provide excellent health care to the individuals, families and communities we serve.
Oak Lawn, IL