R&D Advanced Manufacturing Technician
Kopp Glass, a Pittsburgh-based manufacturer of high-performance, custom glass products, is seeking to hire a Research and Development (R&D) Technician to support the development and implementation of new glass manufacturing technologies. The position will be located at an R&D center in Rostraver Twp., PA with a focus on supporting the research and engineering teams in onboarding and evaluating new automated, robotic glass manufacturing technologies for innovative products. This hands-on role will require someone with a “roll up the sleeves” approach to getting things done who is highly self-motivated, organized, and accountable. The role will support and perform critical preparatory and operational processes including activities associated with glass melting, forming, inspection, and analysis blending the technical aspects with hands-on responsibilities.
What makes this opportunity unique?
Kopp Glass manufactures custom technical glass solutions across several market segments, including aerospace and defense, safety and signal lighting, energy and power distribution, industrial, scientific, and medical equipment. This position will support efforts to expand our capabilities in glass manufacturing to position Kopp to grow in current and future markets. Working on a small team of engineers and technicians, the role will require a hands-on approach to support the execution of R&D trials to evaluate state of the art equipment and processes for creating unique and highly specialized glassware.
- Supports and performs setup of equipment, assists in the operation of robotic and automated equipment, and evaluation of results from R&D trials for glass manufacturing work cells.
- Works with the engineering team to accomplish the daily work plan, which could involve equipment maintenance, programming, repairs in a variety of robotic areas, inventory, equipment cleaning, forklift use, light manufacturing, and other tasks.
- Performs tasks related to glass manufacturing including batch/cullet preparation, mold preparation, charging, trial support for feeding and forming, inspection and analysis of ware with a focus on tying back to carried out process steps.
- Adheres to requirements related to safety, efficiency, and the performance of automated systems and machinery; must be comfortable working in a manufacturing environment.
- Accurately documents processes and results on an engineering-based team for objective and thorough evaluation. Executes results and statistical data analysis and evaluation where applicable. Creates timely trial reports that are professional and thorough.
- Performs sample analysis and trial inspections using a range of analytical and statistical methods, tools, and instrumentation.
- Self-motivated, accountable and resourceful; someone who likes to get things done and knows how to do more with less.
- Exhibits unwavering integrity; adheres to ethical and moral standards.
- Flexible and adaptable to changing conditions as results driven approach is utilized.
- Strong technical skills and ability to thoroughly document processes, analyze and communicate results through reporting. Demonstrates an attention to detail.
- Ability to learn new equipment and operate following appropriate training based on skill level. Comfortable working with hands in a R&D manufacturing environment, learning new equipment and adapting to new technologies.
- Associate degree in electrical, mechanical engineering and/or engineering technology or related field. Bachelor degree in science or engineering field preferred.
- 2+ years of experience in robotics, controls, and/or automation preferred.
- Must be able to work delayed start 1st shift (approx. 2PM to 11PM)
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills including, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The essential functions of this role will be performed in an R&D center setting. This may include walking, standing, bending for up to 8 hours per day and occasional lifting/pushing/pulling up to a maximum of 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work in both a hot and cold environment and perform essential functions while wearing necessary PPE (safety shoes, safety glasses, ear plugs, respirators as needed).
About the company
At Kopp we recognize that great employees are what truly differentiates us from our competitors, and we demonstrate that belief by continuously challenging, developing, and rewarding those who help us achieve our mission. We offer our employees a comprehensive benefits package with options for medical and wellness care, 401(k) retirement plan, paid vacation and holidays, and more. You’ll be joining a company with a solid, industry-leading reputation for technical excellence and expertise in glass science, materials, and optical engineering. We are driven to be the very best, and we want people on our team who are dedicated to this mission.
Access to our facility (and therefore, employment) is restricted under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) to U.S. Citizens and permanent residents of the United States. Applicants receiving a conditional offer of employment will be required to provide information to determine whether they are subject to these regulations and, if so, to assess their country of chargeability for export control purposes.
Kopp GlassBelle Vernon, PA
Explore similar jobsMore Jobs Like This
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.