The Certified Medical Assistant will provide patient care and assist nursing staff in the Klamath Tribes’ Medical Clinic. This position will be responsible for a full range of back office tasks for the Medical Clinic and will exercise full professional discretion and technical judgment based on training. Routine duties shall include providing health care related services to individuals eligible for services provided by Klamath Tribal Health & Family Services in homes, schools, clinics, alternate job sites and other community locations within the Klamath Tribes’ Service Unit.
Klamath Tribal Health & Family Services
3949 South 6th Street
Klamath Falls, OR 97603
Phone: (541) 882-1487 or 1-800-552-6290
HR Fax: (541) 273-4564
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Care for and treat patients as directed by Nursing Staff; prepare patients for and assist with examinations. Administer injections and medications, dress wounds and incisions, and perform related tasks.
2. Under Nursing Staff supervision, maintain records of vital statistics and other pertinent data for patients; document any significant changes for physician review.
3. As per established protocol, CMA will provide telephone and office triage; including obtaining chief complaint, existing health problems, and health maintenance needs for all patients, as assigned. CMA will notify Nurses of patient care needs and the need for assessment.
Position Description: Certified Medical Assistant Page 2 of 5 Revised: 11/26/2018
4. Under the Nurse’s direction, order and/or run laboratory tests as specified for patients.
5. Coordinate clinical and health care follow-up activities for patients as directed by a Nurse.
6. Provide accurate, complete, legible, and timely documentation of all patient contacts in patient charts.
7. Arrange exam room instruments and equipment; keep exam rooms neat and clean. Follow appropriate protocol for disposing of contaminated supplies and sterilization of medical equipment.
8. Perform and accurately log quality control checks on lab equipment and rapid tests conducted at the clinic.
9. Perform EKG testing under Nurse’s directions.
10. Maintain Medical Clinic equipment under the Nurse’s direction.
11. Observe universal precautions in providing patient care.
12. The incumbent will be called upon to accomplish other tasks within their scope of work.
Work is performed under the general direction of the Infection Nurse Supervisor. This position requires consistent, sound judgment and the ability to work independently with minimum direct supervision. The Certified Medical Assistant will work within the context of standing orders and protocols.
The supervisor outlines the overall program objectives and priorities, time limit, and financial resources available. The employee plans and schedules recurring work, handles routine problems, and completes work using own initiative. Exercise professional knowledge and judgment in interpreting guideline and applicability.
Work is reviewed from an overall standpoint in terms of meeting objectives, effectiveness, and compliance with laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
Knowledge of health care operating techniques.
Ability to establish rapport with patients to accomplish problem solving and education. Position Description: Certified Medical Assistant Page 3 of 5 Revised: 11/26/2018
Ability to communicate orally and in writing. This person should be able to express her/himself in a clear and concise manner for the purpose of correspondence, providing reports, and obtaining information or conveying messages between clients, outside providers and other staff members.
Ability to function effectively under pressure of time and/or demands of several tasks at once by effectively planning, organizing and prioritizing workload.
Possess good public and interpersonal relationship skills. This person should be able to meet with a variety of individuals in a professional manner, using tact, diplomacy, and mature judgment.
Ability to perform work and accomplish tasks in accordance with established policies, procedures, practices, and priorities of the office.
Must have ability to complete required documentation and required written follow-up.
Must be able to participate and promote teamwork, be courteous to patients, their family members and co-workers.
Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of medical records and adhere to the standards for health record-keeping, HIPAA and Privacy Act requirements.