Special Education Teacher
- Posted: over a month ago
The Special Education teacher provides counseling, support and intervention services to students and their families that target non-academic obstacles to success. In this role, the special education Teacher will work closely with The Director of Education and the Principal to continually monitor student progress, conduct, engagement and discipline issues to identify students in need of well-being support and provide interventions appropriate to the individual student and circumstances. This position reports to and works closely with the Director of Education.
An ideal candidate will have extensive experience counseling Elementary to High school students in a diverse cultural setting and a working knowledge of the Whole Child approach to wrap-around services for students. A successful applicant will have a passion for the mission of the King Abdullah Academy and a keen interest in aligning well-being counseling services with the school’s visions and values.
- In partnership with Special Education Coordinator AND Academic Guidance Counsellors, participates in the development of a personalized, holistic, comprehensive success plan for each student ensuring that every student realizes his/her full potential.
- Participates in and brings individual student well-being data to Student Progress and Engagement review panels.
- Identify the needs of assigned students through formal and informal assessments
- Review referral data, history and assessment data to develop appropriate goals and objectives for each student.
- Confer with special education coordinator and general education teachers regarding the educational, social, emotional and physical needs and objectives of each student
- Plan, develop and implement individualized learning plans for each student and design appropriate teaching strategies.
- Prepare instructional materials and lesson plans according to Individual Educational Plans (IEPs).
- Review IEPs with parents, school administrators and general education teachers.
- Utilize appropriate methods of learning delivery and instruction to meet the needs of each student in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE).
- Develop and implement necessary interventions and strategies to promote achievement of student objectives.
- Collaborate and consult with general school personnel regarding the implementation of the IEPs and special educational services.
- Maintain regular communication with parents by means of email, phone calls, conferences and progress reports.
- Assist parents with understanding and supporting educational objectives, learning expectations and behavioral standards.
- Ensure adherence to reasonable rules of classroom discipline and order to maintain a secure and effective learning environment.
- Provides support to the Special Education Coordinator, Director of Education and Assistant Principal in their efforts to embed a school-wide culture and practices that prioritize the development of a positive self-concept for every student.
- In collaboration with the Special Education Coordinator, and as directed by the Director of Education, coordinates, facilitates, develops and schedules trainings for faculty and staff pertaining to student socio-emotional development and/or specific related issues and challenges at the school.
King Abdullah Academy
EducationView all jobs at King Abdullah Academy