At Kinemetrics, we offer a work environment unlike any other: we foster innovation and build collaboration…our employees combine their talents to achieve a common goal. We have big plans for continued global growth, and we are looking for people who are creative, flexible, and dedicated to helping us build something great – something that matters.
Can you join Team Kinemetrics? Yes, you can - if you’re excited by the thought of working with the finest seismic and earthquake engineering instrumentation designers the world can offer, more than 1,000 customers and a range of revolutionary products that are shaping earthquake research in 150 countries. Being valued for who you are as well as what you do, you can embrace the pace…The key question is: Is This You?
Kinemetrics is seeking a Senior Electronics Design Engineer who will be responsible for the electronics design of Kinemetrics’ high resolution digitizers, sensors, and earthquake monitoring systems and future new products/technologies in this area. The ability to continually improve the performance of these systems is the focus for this individual.
The successful candidate must be capable of evaluating new product proposals generated by sales, engineering, or marketing and assess the technical merits of the proposal and perform feasibility studies to identify potential solutions/architectures and address the risk, costs and time scales of a development. Following a successful feasibility study the individual should lead the electronics design of the product, performing detailed engineering development, liaising with other team members, producing prototype, and pre-production models, and generating the documentation package to allow transition of the product to manufacturing. The ability to complete developments in a timely manner meeting budget constraints is an essential responsibility. Support of products throughout the product life cycle is also an essential task and this includes dealing with End-of-Life (EOL) issues, cost containment, and customer support.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyzes research data and proposed product specifications to determine feasibility of product proposal.
- Confers with other engineering and software personnel to clarify or resolve problems and develop design approach.
- Produces the development plans, timing and costing estimates for new developments.
- Prepares or directs preparation of detailed product architecture or system layout and detailed drawings and schematics.
- Designs significant parts of the overall electronics system.
- Directs and coordinates manufacturing or building of prototype product or system.
- Works with the software team to integrate the system’s hardware and firmware.
- Plans and develops experimental test programs to verify and validate new designs and systems.
- Analyzes test data and reports to determine if design meets functional and performance specifications.
- Holds appropriate design reviews with involved parties to ensure the product goals are being met.
- Confers with research and other engineering personnel and prepares design modifications as required.
- Works with vendors to introduce new methods and equipment required in the design and to control costs.
- Works with the production and test engineering teams to develop production processes and testing to support the new product build.
- Provides support to sales and marketing team to provide marketing material and training to support sales of the new product.
- Provides support to the quality group on the development of a quality plan for the new product.
- Responsible for ongoing design modifications to ensure the continued success of the product over its lifetime.
Education and/or Experience
Master’s degree (MSEE) or equivalent; or four to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience demonstrating the capability of leading a project design team from the concept to manufacturing release of a new product is essential. The ideal candidate will have developed a high level of technical skills and be given increasing levels of supervisory and project management responsibility, but still enjoy hands on design work.
Language & Communication Skills
Communication within the Engineering team and to outside stakeholder such as Sales and Production is an essential skill required in this position. The ability to work within and lead a team is essential. Specific abilities include:
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, component specifications, patents, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, prepare presentations, business correspondence, procedure manuals, and product manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from peers, groups of managers, clients, and customers.
Computer and Software Skills
Knowledge of schematic capture, printed circuit board design, FPGA design tools, SPICE analysis, and basic 3-D mechanical analysis. Ability to use the Office suite of products and Project management software is required. Specific experience with Cadence EDA tools such as OrCAD and Allegro is an advantage. Knowledge of embedded system programming is a useful ability to collaborate with the software development team.
Ability to apply mathematical techniques to solve real world engineering problems.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as circuit analysis, binary & hexadecimal computations, probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
Specific engineering experience in:
- High dynamic range Analog to Digital Converter design especially sigma-delta converters
- Low noise analog electronic design
- Force feedback sensor systems
- Embedded processor design and programming
- ARM Processors with embedded Linux
- Low power CPLD/FPGA design
- High efficiency, low power, low noise switching converters
- GPS and Precision timing system design
- Surface Mount assembly and fabrication techniques
- COTs Communication techniques and equipment
- Knowledge of ISO9001
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Ability to make decisions given limited and possibly conflicting information.
Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Work with a purpose: Work that has a global impact with the opportunity to make a difference in earthquake preparedness and resilience.
- Excellent benefits: We offer competitive salary with a benefits package that includes a 401k plan with company match, medical and dental insurance, both short term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, generous paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and flexible work hours which includes having every other Friday off.
- Strong work/life balance: Located in Pasadena, close to Caltech, and a short commute to the ocean, ski and hiking areas.
- For more info on Kinemetrics Inc. please check: www.kinemetrics.com
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Why Work Here?The Kinemetrics Team is more than ‘just’ the creator of the world’s first very-broadband seismograph or who patented the world’s first 24-bit A/D ideas that revolutionized the field of seismology. Our products and solutions have transformed how seismic measurements are taken and beyond. We are a global team, powered by creative thinkers who are wired for action, focused on delivering results and collaborating to enable the perfect measurement - which matters the most for science to advance. We are in this together - colleagues, customers and partner communities working as One Kinemetrics.
Every other Friday off, outstanding people, competitive pay, excellent benefits, 401k match, casual dress code, & strong work/life balance.