Director of Operations – Job Description, Responsibilities, and Expectations
As a member of the Kimball Construction Leadership Team, the Director of Operations is responsible for managing the team personnel who are directly responsible for execution of projects. This position ensures that Estimators, Project Managers, Site Managers, and Superintendents sync together to execute projects on time, budget, safety, and meet client’s satisfaction. Overseeing daily construction related activities on the job site(s): including quality control, project safety, scheduling and management of subcontractors, ordering od materials, coordination with state and local building officials, interfacing with architects, owners, and engineers. This positions reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer.
Key responsibilities include:
· Oversee, supervise and evaluate Project Managers, Site Managers, Superintendents, General Foreman, Foremen, Operators and Laborers
· Provide Quality control inspections on finished projects
· Reinforce company policies, culture, values and work ethic to all employees and subcontractors
· Assist Project Supervisors in prioritizing critical project needs.
· Oversee that constructability and coordination are consistently considered across all projects
· Develop and maintain internal pre-construction advisory standards such that projects across the board are set up for successful construction. Ensure uniform cost estimating and bidding processes across all projects
· Ensure that construction professionals are systematically considering critical path decisions and construction methods to maintain schedule, budget, safety and quality
· Continuously discover ways and methodologies that efficiently disrupt the construction industry, create and implement these processes consistently
· Manager field employees per the standard agreement between the company and inion. Resolve issues that may arise with efficiency and speed to not obstruct the progress of work
· Create, maintain and enhance regional partnerships with General Contractors, major subcontractors and key suppliers/vendors
· Facilitate communication across project execution team, including interaction with from design phase to closeout
· Establish and implement necessary processes for essential operations
· Maintain active involvement in pricing and staffing decisions for all new construction projects
· Develop workload schedules to utilize union employees to the best of their abilities for each project they’re assigned and level-load production
· Other duties as needed
Required Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
· At least 8 years of documented Construction Superintendent/Site Manager experience with a GENERAL CONTRACTOR.
· Proficiency with computer software programs MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project
· Viewpoint experience preferred, but not required
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Ability to handle confidential/sensitive information with discretion
· Must have valid driver's license and have acceptable driving record, background check and clean drug test results
· Must be able to meet physical requirements of the job including the ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, the ability to climb ladders, negotiate construction work areas. Must be able to lift up to 50lbs.
Key Personal Attributes:
· Must be performance oriented and motivated to achieving profit driven tasks within a teamwork environment.
· Must think critically and have the ability to solve complex problems.
· Must enjoy working on numerous tasks of differing types in an atmosphere of many changing agendas from project owners, subcontractors, suppliers and KCC personnel.
· Ability to work with limited instructions and maintenance. Must be a well‐organized problem solver and person of action.
· Ability to effectively make sound and prudent decisions while managing multiple issues and under tight deadlines
· Timeliness and a teamwork attitude.
· A high focus on client satisfaction, always focusing on the quality of work being performed.