Civil Estimator - Heavy Industrial Construction
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
As a member of the Kimball Construction team, the Take Off Specialist & Estimator is responsible for preparing budgets, estimates, and pre-bid packages for construction projects to be built for clients, with a main focus on take off work and change orders. Responsibilities also include bidders list, soliciting and evaluating subcontractor proposals and scopes of work, preparing quantity surveys and reviewing project plans and specifications for constructability and value engineering in all CSI (Construction Specification Institute) categories of work, focusing primarily on divisions two and three.
• Performs accurate, thorough and timely quantity takeoffs using company format, detail and coding for all CSI division systems for all levels of project documents (schematic, design development and, construction documents).
• Develops accurate and concise clarifications and assumptions.
• Manages multiple projects concurrently with ability to multitask.
• Obtains clarification on plans and specifications from appropriate individuals when
• Attends project site pre-bid meetings, site tours, and post-bid interviews as required.
• Analyzes plan documents and prepares detailed cost estimates.
• Obtains accurate and up-to-date pricing information from databases, contractors, suppliers, etc. to use in estimates and develops accurate unit costs.
• Reviews and finalizes estimate unit cost pricing to reflect current market conditions and specific project logistics.
• Responsible for maintaining relationships with subcontractors, suppliers and equipment vendors to provide adequate resources to prepare competitive pricing proposals.
• Develops and analyzes value management analysis options.
• Performs technical/plan review when required.
• Considers and understands problems, and identifies appropriate solutions.
• Develops knowledge in building designs, systems and construction materials through available resources and uses this knowledge in guiding the client to a viable alternatives/solutions to me project requirements.
• Ensures all data placed in the historical database is accurate.
• May assist in purchasing or buyout duties.
• May assist the project management team in soliciting and analyzing subcontractor and vendor pricing input when required.
• Becomes proficient in all computer software programs used in preconstruction with particular emphasis on estimating software.
• Facilitates communication between client, staff and contractors.
• Present findings, changes, or other information to client staff.
• Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, subcontractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meets or exceeds the customer’s expectations.
• Meet deadlines.
• Other duties a required.
• B.S. in Construction Management, Engineering, or equivalent work experience with 5+ years of preconstruction and/or operations experience on commercial construction projects or 8 + years of progressive equivalent work experience in a related field. Depending upon the project size, scope, and complexity the years of experience may vary.
• Knowledgeable in some or all of the following: civil/site construction, foundation and structural systems, interior finishes, exterior wall systems, mechanical and electrical systems and the costs of these systems.
• Must possess knowledge of structural concrete and shoring.
• Must demonstrate expanding knowledge of construction details about miscellaneous metals, casework, doors, specialties, radiation protection, and other trades.
• Possess good organizational and management skills, and strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Able to develop new skills and knowledge quickly.
• Resourceful and diligent in seeking solutions to problems and adapting to new situations.
• Possess the ability to estimate all aspects of a commercial construction project, assemble into one budget, and present to client.
• Must be able to view things from an owner’s perspective and present accordingly.
• Must be able to work in and/or organize teams.
• Must be able to operate as a “stand alone” estimator able to handle complete projects if required.
• Strong computer skills including the ability to use estimating software (like MC2), word processing, spread sheets, bid management, online plan rooms and database applications and company communication tools, such as email, internet, and Microsoft products (e.g., Word, Excel, Office, Outlook).
• The majority of the work is completed in an office setting at a company office.
• Periodic meetings at off-site locations may occur.
Key Personal Attributes
• Must be performance oriented and motivated to achieving profit driven tasks within a teamwork environment.
• Must enjoy working on numerous tasks of differing types in an atmosphere of many changing agendas from project owners, subcontractors, suppliers and KCC personnel.
• Ability to work without repeated instructions and maintenance. Must be a well-organized problem solver and person of action.
• Timeliness and a teamwork attitude.
• Willingness to work proficiently, always focusing upon the quality of work being performed.
• Must be a self-starter, taking the initiative to better the project and associated documentation whenever possible.
Kimball Construction CoWhy Work Here?
Fast paced, GROWING company offering everything from FREE Health Insurance to a pet friendly environment!
Since 1970 Kimball Construction has been providing construction services to a wide variety of high-end customers and has developed a reputation for dependability, high quality work and safety. As a self-performing contractor we have extensive experience working in occupied buildings and protecting finished areas. We take pride in our ability to minimize disruptions to the clients operations, while maintaining a clean and organized work area. This capability and experience can be measured by the firm's accomplishments, which include the successful completion of thousands of projects for clients that expect quality and performance.
9615 Philadelphia Rd. RosedaleBaltimore, MD