- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
We are a commercial and residential fence company founded on the desire to provide superior security expertise with strong customer service. Established in 1988, we have proven over time that building relationships and putting people first leads to business success, resulting in a portfolio of repeat customers. Additionally, we are proud to have healthy relationships with our insurance and banking partners so that we can provide customers with a quality product at competitive prices.
We are a small company with a fun, hard-working, and supportive team who are passionate about what we do. Due to our consistent growth, healthy balance sheet, and established customer portfolio, this is an excellent opportunity for an experienced Controller looking to make an impact and become a key member of our team. Our current Controller is retiring and will provide support to ensure a smooth transition onto our team and into the role.
Working out of our headquarters office located conveniently between the downtowns of both Saint Paul and Minneapolis, the Controller is an integral member of the company’s leadership team and is responsible for planning, executing, and supervising all finance-related activities. This person will work directly with the owner on day-to-day decision making. The Controller will also maintain overall accounting systems, procedures, and policies, including timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial trends and forecasts, and ensuring effective internal controls are in place. The position is supported with three established employees who process payroll, invoicing, and accounts payable.
Major Areas of Accountability
Accounting and Finance
· Establishes and maintains the organization's overall accounting systems, procedures, and policies.
· Directs all reporting of financial information including budgets, planning, and required filings and reports.
· Handles the management, creation, and implementation of all accounting, financial reporting, and compliance processes and procedures.
· Reviews project profitability and collaborates with senior management on optimizing profitability.
· Manages personnel associated with the day-to-day activities of accounts payable, accounts receivable, monetary disbursements, invoicing, customer credits and collections, payroll, fixed asset records, and general, entity, and cost accounting.
· Executes and reviews General Ledger reconciliations, journal entries, month-end processing, and Cash Management functions.
· Creates, maintains, and distributes accounting documents, reports, analysis, and forecasts. Provides updates to management relating to issues that impact various facets of accounting.
· Recommends and oversees the overall implementation and maintenance of required policies, procedures, systems, and practices to support the company's accounting functions.
Payroll and Benefits Administration
· Manages the overall payroll process and 401k funding using third-party payroll processing companies.
· Reconciles time entry reporting from systems, manages payroll processing for all employees, and oversees the reconciliation process with hourly independent contractors.
· Ensures the accuracy of all payments, deductions, and accruals.
· Manages and oversees the sales tax process and ensures compliance with regulatory, multi-state, federal, and foreign requirements.
· Generates and supplies year-end reporting required for external tax preparers.
· Provides oversight to administrative support.
· Participates in new employee onboarding and offboarding processes and sets up new employees in appropriate systems.
· Maintains strong relationships with banks, customers, vendors, and consultants.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related business degree.
· 5+ years demonstrated experience in General Ledger, A/R, A/P, Cash Management, Tax Filings, and Payroll.
· General knowledge, understanding, and experience working in a B2B, privately held company, ideally an enterprise software and/or professional services organization.
· Proven experience preparing executive reports, presentations, and correspondence utilizing knowledge of MS Office Products.
· Self-directed worker with minimal input from manager on priority setting and day-to-day activities.
· Strict adherence to confidentiality and data privacy.
· Excellent organizational skills and a proven track record managing complex accounting end-to-end and delivering on-time financial statements.
· Demonstrated competency at all levels in providing customer service to internal and external parties.
· Prior experience with the complexities of multi-company, multi-state, and multi-country accounting and tax regulations.
· Prior staff management and oversite experience.
· Previous construction accounting experience.
· Strong understanding of accounting systems and systems of internal control. Microsoft Business Central, Quickbooks, Avalara (Sales Tax).
Compensation Package Includes:
· Competitive salary
· Employer-paid health and dental benefits
· Participation in company IRA
· Three weeks of paid time off
AddressSaint Paul, MN
Finance and Insurance
Get fresh Assistant Controller jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.