A shift supervisor is responsible for the safety, quality, reliability, productivity, and housekeeping of all hourly production workers in the manufacturing plant during his or her shift. This is accomplished through organizing and supervising staff in all departments and monitoring workflow and machine efficiencies throughout the shift.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Understand every aspect of the plant’s operations (from receiving to material handling to manufacturing to packaging to shipping) and maintain all work flow processes for each product line
· Manage hourly staff to ensure safety, quality, productivity, reliability, and facility cleanliness is maintained
· Schedule personnel and resources based on staffing levels and production requirements as well as effectively cross train staffing for redundant work center coverage in order to meet the production schedule
· Responsible for training all shift employees as well as assessing talent and creating employee development plans
· Assist in decisions regarding the company’s production organizational chart, including hiring for open and/or new positions on the shift, and manage temporary staffing for the shift such as monitoring of hours worked.
· Effectively execute disciplinary on company policy and management’s directives for all shift personnel
· Assist with productivity and maintenance functions as required (which may include operating machinery)
· Troubleshoot machines to provide guidance to departmental Technicians and Operators as well as provide feedback to Engineering and Maintenance on issues and potential fixes
· Ensure proper paperwork and data entry for the shift is being completed in a timely manner
· Track and maintain KPIs for all assigned metrics and provide feedback on shift trends as well as suggest and implement cost reduction strategies
· Effectively communicate with other shift Supervisors and the Operations Manager on a daily basis, and the Plant Manager and Engineering Manager on a weekly basis
· Run weekly shift meetings covering safety, quality, facility, HR, scheduling and other updates/notifications.
· Attend weekly production meetings with other shift supervisors and the operations manager
· Insure that employees are following and adhering to safety guidelines and GMP’s and safety inspections.
· Assist in maintaining tooling and printing inventories and communicate with Engineering and Maintenance to reorder items as required
· Willingness and ability to work off-shift (2nd- 3 to 12pm; 3rd – 11pm to 8am)
· Minimum of 5 years supervisory experience in a manufacturing environment
· Ability to lead and manage up to 30 hourly workers including department leads
· Prior experience enacting and maintaining safety policies and disciplinary actions
· Technical abilities on machinery including troubleshooting manufacturing equipment
· Knowledge of computer programs including Microsoft Office, SAP
Leadership abilities, excellent communication skills, critical thinking, strong organizational and planning abilities, able to effectively operate in a fast paced complex environment, ability to document and create SOP’s, mechanical aptitude, and computer skills