The role of a Process Technician is to set molds and start production/molding in their assigned injection molding machines, respecting objectives set in terms of Quality, Cost and Delivery. The main missions of the role are to:
· Work with injection molding machines and secondary equipment, on tooling issues to reduce downtime and improve efficiency.
· Monitor process and product quality while tooling runs.
· Maintain and improve Quality.
· Work with Manufacturing Engineering to reduce downtime and scrap, and improve process efficiency.
· Participate in improving tool changeover times, by using SMED; improve EOAT (end of arm tooling) change over time improved color changeover time.
· Identify molding problems due to tooling problems and report them to Supervisor.
· Participate in maintaining tooling and equipment thru TPM Program.
· Record downtime and scrap and changeover time
· Able to addresses minor processing issues.
· Work flexibility in order to meet customer demands and needs.
· Work flexibility in order to meet customer requirements.
· Assist with any additional tasks as assigned by the company.
· Work safely with and during mold changes, color changes, and any movement with cranes and robot operations.
The ideal candidate will have/be:
· Technical diploma, preferably with a specialization in injection molding.
· At least 3 years of manufacturing experience within a fast-paced manufacturing environment
· At least 1 year as a Process Technician in an injection molding manufacturing operation with medium tonnage molding machines
· Training and experience in the operation of overhead cranes
· Proven ability to undertake tasks of substantial variety or complexity which require an extensive knowledge of fabrication/processing techniques, tools, materials, machines and equipment
· Working knowledge of Quality system and Health, Safety and Environment skills
· Strong technical problem-solving skills
· Strong teamwork, interpersonal and communication skills
· Proficient level of English required
· Experience with Engel injection molding machines considered a plus
· 50 % of job spent doing mold changes
· SMED (single minute exchange of Die)/ Quick Changeover experience
· Operate overhead crane up to 50 ton in size
· Knowledge of setting up, operating crane and differentiating which tools to use during mold changes
· Understanding of and consistent use of mold straps
· Understanding of Hydraulic and water connections and proper usage
· Use of Magnetic Platens, chains, eye bolts and D rings.
· Robot experience (Sepro and Engle usage preferred)
· Able to operate Robot including start, stop, and navigating the robot properly
· End of Arm tool changes and troubleshooting experience
· Safe operation of Robot
· Basic Understanding of Polymers and Resins
· Experience specifically with the following materials: Polypropylene (PP), TPO, ABS, PCABS, Nylon, & Glass and Mineral filled PP.
· Basic Hopper and Dryer operations
· Understanding of which materials require Drying
· Basic Knowledge of Injection Molding Machine mounted blenders (MOTAN)
· Basic feed systems operation and trouble shooting
· Experience with color concentrate blending and troubleshooting with material.
· Experience performing color changes including purging machine and cleaning tools
Processing & Injection Molding Machinery:
· Start and stop basic understanding
· Troubleshooting the following issues:
o Short Shots
o Flow Lines
o Pin Push
o Sink Marks
· Understanding of cold and hot runners and valve gated manifolds in Injection Molding Machine tooling
· Understanding and ability to follow water circuits
· Basic electrical understanding of Injection Molding Machines and tools (Thermocouples, wiring heater bands)
· Ability to change Nozzle tips and mixers
· Experience recording process parameters and reacting to out of control tolerances
· Experience loading processes (recipe) into Injection Molding Machine Controllers (Engle & Husky brands)
· Experience with Cores and ejection including troubleshooting
· Recording and understanding of mold change time, color change time, scrap percentage, efficiency and down time.
· Interior Injection Molding experience with Cosmetic “A” surface parts
· Knowledge and understanding of parts and function of all parts of an Injection Molding Press
· Knowledge and understanding of step by step processes in an injection mold cycle.
· Knowledge and understanding of proper cleaning, storage, safety procedures related to all aspects of operation and processing
· Working knowledge of Kanban
· Excellent housekeeping practices
· Familiarity with tools such as:
o Screw Drivers
o Allen Wrench
o Other small hand tools as needed
Kapstone Employment ServicesWe are a certified women and minority owned Detroit-based company providing employment solutions for our communities. Specializing in recruitment for engineering, IT, finance and accounting and human resources professionals . We're in the relationship building business, establishing and maintaining relationships with our candidates and clients. We're here to serve you.