Responsible for the preparation and care of patient during the peri-operative period. Provides direct nursing care to patients during their surgical procedures at the Hospital, in accordance with AORN standards. Works with Scrub Tech to confirm and enter accurate post surgical counts.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Utilizes nursing process in assessment, evaluation, and intervention in patient care as provided in the operating room.
- Ensures the OR is set up appropriately for each case, including using the surgeon preference card to review the supplies pulled for each case, for the next day.
- Prior to transporting the patient from Pre-op to OR identifies the patient, reviews with the patient the site and procedure to be performed and ensures the completion of the medical record, including and H&P.
- Demonstrates continued competence in assessing, treating, and caring for individuals based upon age-specific needs utilizing a developmental perspective.
- Assists anesthesiologist before, during and after case as indicated.
- Post surgery, visually verifies accuracy of Scrub Tech’s count of items used during surgery (sponges, peanuts, needles, blades, cautery, cottonoids, injectables, instruments, implants, and any other product used during surgery) and accurately enters count into electronic charting.
- Completes all documentation to ensure the availability of accurate and up to date information in accordance with established standards.
- Adheres to established hospital safety requirements and procedures to ensure a safe working environment.
- Is knowledgeable of supplies and protocols in the event an emergency arises.
- Demonstrates the safe operation of equipment and machinery and follows procedures for reporting and correcting an unsafe situation.
- Communicates patient information to assure confidentiality and continuity of care.
- Performs duties as identified by hospital policies and procedures and in accordance with accepted AORN standards.
- Actively participates in the Quality Improvement program and other ongoing risk management and safety programs as part of the O.R. Team.
- Interacts with all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees in a mature, responsible manner to ensure a positive and professional surgery center environment.
- Actively protects patient and self by following OSHA and other standards reviewed in annual training.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Actively supports and upholds the mission and core values of the Hospital.
- Remains knowledgeable of and follows the policies of the Hospital.
- Maintains patient and hospital confidentiality at all times.
- Keeps Manager appraised of day to day situations.
Qualifications & Requirements
Requires: Associate’s degree from an accredited two-year college or university, or diploma in nursing. BSN desired. Possession of valid state license as Registered Nurse in the state of Kansas. BCLS (Basic Cardiac Life Support) required. ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) preferred
Minimum of one year experience as surgery circulating nurse, prefer experience with spinal procedures.