Visiting Assistant Professor - Graphic Design
- $50,750 Yearly
POSITION TITLE: Visiting Assistant Professor (Non-Tenure Track)
UNIT: Graphic Design
REPORTS TO: Tyler Galloway
DATE: May 2023
Our Mission: Preparing gifted students to transform the world creatively through art and design.
Our Vision: To be an innovative leader in art and design education.
NARRATIVE GENERAL DESCRIPTION
The Graphic Design department is seeking a collaborative and curious colleague for a one-year, non-tenure-track appointment. We seek an individual with progressive ideas about design practice and pedagogy and who is actively building a record of experiences in both areas. We recognize the breadth and depth of contemporary design practice and are open to research and practice interests in user interface, user experience; environmental design and wayfinding; motion; information and data visualization; service design; and/or experimental modes of publishing/story-telling/imaging; or social innovation. Our priority is to build the strongest possible complement of faculty and we are open to a wide range of possibilities for how that may be done.
Persons filling this position from August 2023 to May 2024 will be expected to engage in research/creative activity and service to the department and Institute, in addition to building knowledge, commitment and motivation in undergraduate sophomores through seniors (3/3 teaching load) in courses that best fit your strengths.
Faculty are currently discussing and engaged in co-teaching courses, the inquiry method, cross-disciplinary modes of teaching, fostering studio culture, maximizing effective learning spaces, graphic design in relation to other disciplines (product design, animation, illustration, printmaking) and the art school context.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Regular attendance for all courses throughout the academic year.
- 3/3 teaching load – 9 credits in the fall, 9 in the spring.
- Providing consistent feedback for students, including mid-term and final grades for each course.
- Department service including, but not limited to, recruiting presentations, open houses, end-of-semester exhibitions, and regular departmental faculty meetings.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND QUALIFICATIONS (examples below in blue. Please only list items that are necessary for the role).
- Advanced knowledge of contemporary design practices and/or theory in multiple domains within graphic design. This may include UX/UI, professional practices/portfolio development, publishing and collaborative practices, typography and type design, service design, information and data visualization, social innovation, and/or design research & processes.
- Ability to address design problems from a systems viewpoint, with potential for 2d/3d/4d expressions, and with a strong understanding of how audience, media, content, and context inform visual form.
- Ability to use current computer equipment and programs being used by the department. Including, but not limited to:
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud (including InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Premiere);
- Understanding of additional design and collaboration software such as Figma, Miro, etc.;
- Strong knowledge of Google suite (drive, docs, slides, forms, gmail, calendar, etc.);
- Basic working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite products (including Word, Excel, and Power Point).
- Ability to work reliably – independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to clearly communicate in oral and written form, with colleagues and students.
- Ability to hear normal audio levels of speaking whether in person or over the phone.
- Ability to move around classrooms and studio spaces to work with groups and individuals.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- BFA in graphic design or visual communication
- Minimum of five years’ professional graphic design experience
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- Master’s degree in Graphic Design
- 5+ years of professional graphic design experience
- Some college-level teaching experience
Kansas City Art InstituteKansas City, MO
Arts and Entertainment
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.