Under physician’s clinical supervision, assists in the delivery of patient care/treatment as governed by the Board of Medical Examiners and according to Kalispell Regional Medical Group (KRMG) policies and procedures. Provides administrative support and works collaboratively with Physicians, Advance Practice Providers, RNs, LPNs and other department staff to meet the physical, psychosocial, education and spiritual needs of the patient and family.
- *Completes pre-appointment chart prep. Receives and prepares patient for examination and treatment per practice procedure and protocol. Obtains and records history and vital signs. Charts and documents in medical record and collects laboratory specimens as needed.
- *Prepares room, equipment and supplies as dictated by particular examination or patient’s needs. Cleans and disinfects equipment per KRH sterile processing guidelines. Assists physician in preparing for minor procedures and physical examinations. Performs minor procedures to include, but may not be limited to; suture and staple removal, application of dressings, splints, casts, etc.
- *Assists with scheduling admissions, appointments, diagnostic tests, treatments, procedures and surgery. May assist with patient registration, collection of co-payments and prior authorizations. Provides instruction to patients as directed by physician or documented in policies and procedures. Screens incoming calls for appropriate referrals to nurse, physician and/or advanced practice provider.
- *Administers medications via numerous routes (oral, topical, rectal, inhalants, oxygen, eyes, ears, nose, and/or injections) under supervision of physician.
- *Receives and processes lab results (critical lab values).
- *Enter physician-approved orders for medications and diagnostic testing in Electronic Medical Record per KRH protocol. Assists in entering family and social history, past medical history, problem list and surgical history.
- *Under supervision of department leadership, participates in process improvement and/or risk related departmental activities.
- *Incorporates population specific needs into all aspects of communication and patient care. Scope of services will encompass age groups ranging from infant through geriatric (depending on the specific clinic patient panel).
- *May receive delegated tasks from physician or PA only. May not receive delegated tasks from other MAs, RN/LPNs, NP (refer to Montana State Board of Examiners Rule 156.640).
- Other duties as assigned. This position description in no way states or implies that these are all the only duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or is a logical assignment to the position.
With approved Scribe Certification:
- May perform as a scribe and accurately transcribe medical reports. Proofreads all work transcribed to ensure proper patient and physician names, spelling and punctuation. Applies expert knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, English rules of transcription and proofreading of all medical dictation.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of new techniques, new medications and new terminology in order to produce quality reports. Researches and follows up on incomplete dictation. Works with providers to assure that all documentation is entered into patient records daily.
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) or Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) required. Minimum of one (1) year experience in a clinical setting preferred. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Successful completion of required MA Development Program preferred and must be successfully obtained within twelve (12) months of hire.
- Graduate of a CAAHEP accredited medical assisting program OR must successfully complete ABR in Order Entry within first ninety (90) days of hire.
- Current First Aide 1st responder CPR preferred or must successfully obtain within ninety (90) days of hire.
- Medical office experience and medical terminology training preferred. Possess working knowledge of anatomy, physiology, medical terminology, basic laboratory values, and pharmacology preferred.
- Knowledge and familiarity with medical equipment and instruments, common safety hazards and precautions, patient rights, regulatory standards and aseptic technique and infection control preferred. Knowledge of Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and confidentiality requirements.
- Possess working knowledge of safe pharmaceutical handling requirements and guidelines preferred.
- Must employ critical thinking skills, respond to a changing workload in a positive and professional manner, and prioritize and seek assistance as appropriate. Possess interpersonal skills and communication necessary to interact with patients, families and physicians effectively.
To be eligible for the Scribe portion of the position: Certified Medical Scribe Professional (CMSP) certification required.