This Legal position is located in Oakland, California. The position advises on the application of labor and employment law and legal risk to Kaiser Permanente-s business operations. This is an opportunity to join an organization whose Mission is to provide high-quality, affordable health care services and to improve the health of our members and the communities we serve, and to have a challenging and rewarding labor & employment advice practice in a complex business and labor environment.
- Under the supervision of senior attorneys, counsel and represent clients on labor and employment law issues, including those under the National Labor Relations Act and state and federal laws governing EEO, wage & hour, leave of absence, retaliation and whistleblower, and other labor and employment law matters.
- Handle cross-disciplinary legal matters in collaboration with regulatory and business attorneys and other professionals and paraprofessionals.
- Evaluate and communicate legal risks associated with complaints, grievances, charges, employer practices, and other legal matters.
- Litigate matters before federal and state agencies, including the NLRB, EEOC, and DOL.
- Engage with outside counsel to efficiently deliver legal expertise to KP when needed.
Collaborate closely with colleagues in the L&E and other practice groups, and with clients throughout the KP Program as assigned.
Compliance and Integrity:
- Model and reinforce ethical behavior in self and others in accordance with the KP Principles of Responsibility, adhere to organizational policies and guidelines, support compliance initiatives, maintain confidences, admit mistakes, conduct business with honesty, show consistency in words and actions, and follow through on commitments.
- Communicate, implement, enforce, monitor, and oversee compliance policies and practices as appropriate.
Advises on the application of the law and legal risk to Kaiser Permanente business operations. Provides legal service to one or more assigned departments or units of the organization. Provides factual information, counsel and guidance on legal questions or matters. Researches legal principles and precedents, consults with outside counsel, drafts and executes legal documents, gathers relevant legal matter related information using multiple sources and methods.
- Under the supervision of more senior attorneys, provides legal counsel to middle management, senior management and executives on complex and legal issues which have a significant impact to the organization.
- May counsel leaders and management whenever legally unsound decisions or plans are being made or when changes in the law occur.
- Handles multiple legal matters in collaboration with other attorneys and paraprofessionals. May provide work review to paraprofessionals.
- Under oversight of practice group management, engages with outside counsel to efficiently deliver legal expertise to KP when needed.
- Prepares legal documents, memoranda and other forms of communication regarding transactional or legal advice.
- Minimum seven (7) years experience as an attorney in a law firm or company or in government in one or more legal specialties.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Juris degree.
License, Certification, Registration
- State Bar license required.
- Membership in local Bar Association.
- Demonstrates skillful insight into critical business problems and emerging legal issues.
- Proven ability to render timely and sound legal advice within applicable legal principles.
- Maintains current knowledge of specialty area.
- Substantial experience and knowledge of the Labor Management Relations Act (LMRA) including advising and representing clients on labor issues before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).
- Experience in advising and representing clients in both traditional and labor management cooperation environments and labor management trust funds.
- Experience in the health care industry.
- Experience advising complex organizations with interaction between multiple legal entities.
- Wage & Hour and/or Traditional Labor experience is preferred.
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
TITLE: Counsel III, Labor and Employment Attorney
LOCATION: Oakland, California
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.