Job Title: Pre-K Assistant Teacher
Job Classification: Full-Time and Non-Exempt
Report to: Site Manager
Organization: Kai Ming, Inc. is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that provides free full-day full-year and full-day part-year Head Start and Early Head Start preschool services to eligible children ages 0-5 years old in San Francisco, CA with funding from Head Start, the California Department of Education, First 5 San Francisco and San Francisco Office of Early Care & Education.
Job: The Assistant Teacher is responsible for the care and the development of children. He/she must perform job duties in a professional manner and be a role model for other staff, parents and children. He/She will plan and implement a curriculum with the guidance of the Lead Teacher to meet the Head Start Performance Standards.
- Assist the Lead Teacher to create and implement a quality curriculum that meets the physical, social, emotional, intellectual, health, and nutritional needs of each child. This shall be done in accordance to Head Start and state standards.
- Work with the Lead Teacher to ensure balanced child-directed and adult-directed activities are implemented daily, including individual and small group experiences for children to support skill development in literacy, language and numeracy, to encourage critical thinking, problem solving skills, creativity and concept forming according to the developmental level of each child.
- Help ensure that ALL education aspects of the health, nutrition, mental health, safety, diversity and cultural awareness are integrated into the class activities.
- Help ensure a variety of strategies to promote and support children’s learning and development using informal and formal observations, on-going assessments, documentation of progress, which are maintained in portfolios for each child.
- Assists the Lead Teachers with conducting and writing children observations, progress notes and other documentations as needed to support children’s learning.
- Provide materials and equipment that offer varied and interesting choices, developmentally and age-appropriately to encourage learning.
- Ensure that the environment meets safety standards established by the program and is in compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Creates a well-organized (e.g. children toys and staff materials are properly labeled, etc.), clean pleasant classroom, meets Head Start Performance Standards where children feel comfortable and secure.
- Conduct transition in a consistent, timely, and predictable and unrushed manner according to each child’s needs.
- Provide an environment and curriculum that supports, encourages acceptance and respect of gender, culture, language, ethnicity and family composition.
- Provide outdoor curriculum that enhance children’s physical and social development
- Interact with and closely supervise children outdoors.
- Able to bend and lift a child (up to 50 lbs.) when needed as well as manage children in outdoor activities.
Promote Social and Emotional Growth
- Provide activities and guidance to help each child learn to accept, understand and appreciate him/herself as an individual.
- Provide experiences that encourage independence, trust as well as opportunities for success to help develop feelings of competence, self-esteem, and positive attitude towards learning.
- Provide opportunities for each child to express, understand and control his/her own feelings.
- Encourage and support development of self-control by setting clear, consistent limits, and having realistic expectations.
- Provide opportunities for children to interact and cooperate with one another to promote respect, acceptance and appreciation of cultural and ethnic diversity, and promote appropriate social skills, competence, and respect for the feelings and rights of others.
- Provide a positive daily routine with simple, consistent rules that are respectful and understood and accepted by all adults and children.
- Model positive teacher/child and teacher/parent interaction skills.
- Participate in at least two home visits each year with parents of children in assigned classroom.
- Assist in communicating with parents of their child’s developmental growth and progress.
- Be available for all parents on a formal and informal basis.
- Participate in Case Conference Meetings with the Teacher and Family and Community Advocate.
- Attend Center meetings.
- Participate in Mental Health Consultation Meetings.
- Participate in staff development trainings and professional development opportunities.
- Provide guidance and training to Teacher Aide, Center Aide and Parent Volunteers as needed.
- Participate in weekly team meeting with teaching team.
- Maintain records for attendance, meal counts, parent participation and other in-kind contributions and submit in a timely manner.
- Report inappropriate behavior of staff, parents and on-site consultants to the appropriate supervisor.
- Perform other duties assigned.
Qualifications: Kai Ming is looking for experienced classroom personnel who can attend to the care and education of young children in a high quality setting to foster their school readiness of and establish a foundation for success in school and life.
- Associates Degree required.
- Must have 24 ECE core units in Child Development/Early Childhood Education
- with a California Child Development Teacher Permit or higher.
- At least one (1) year of experience working with children in a preschool
- classroom setting.
- Ability to take initiative, but also to accept direction and seek guidance appropriately.
- Ability to maintain highest levels of Health, Safety & Supervision of children.
- Light to moderate lifting (up to approximately 50 lbs) is required, such as lifting a child, chair, table, etc.
Compensation: Salary will be commensurate with job and skill level. Benefits include 100% covered health, vision, dental, acupuncture, chiropractic and life insurance plans; employer-contribution retirement plan, self-care benefit, holiday pay and up to 24 days of PTO time. In addition, we fully cover medical plan for staff’s young dependent(s) that are under 26 years old. Visit our website www.kaiming.org for more details.
Equal Opportunity: Kai Ming promotes Equal Opportunity and strongly encourages women, LGBT, people of color and diverse backgrounds to apply. Application process: Please apply on this page kaiming.bamboohr.com/jobs. Applications are accepted and evaluated until a suitable candidate has been selected.
Application Process: https://kaiming.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=3