KIPP NYC Director, Real Estate Development
KIPP NYC Public Schools is a non-profit network of free, public charter schools that prepares students for success in college and life. In 1995 we started our first middle school, KIPP Academy, in The Bronx. Our goal was to graduate students with the strength of character and academic abilities needed to succeed in high school, college and beyond – and in so doing, to prove what is possible for all students. Today, our New York City network is comprised of eight elementary schools, nine middle schools, one high school, and KIPP Forward, a comprehensive support program for our alumni. KIPP NYC Public Schools currently serves more than 9,350 students and alumni and has a staff of more than 850. KIPP NYC is continuing to grow and opened two new middle schools and an elementary school August 2021!Job Description
Over the next several years, KIPP NYC will develop a portfolio of private real estate facilities serving 5 schools (two elementary schools, two middle schools, one high school). In order to execute on this major expansion, KIPP NYC is building a team of mission driven and entrepreneurial real estate operations, development, and finance professionals.
KIPP NYC’s Real Estate Development team is responsible for ensuring the leasing, acquisition, development, financing, and renovation of high-quality facilities for KIPP’s schools. The Director of Real Estate Development will oversee the project management, administrative, technical, and supervisory work related to the on-time, on-budget delivery of facilities for our schools in the Bronx. The role will report to the Managing Director of Real Estate Development and works closely with the Chief Real Estate Officer and other members of the KIPP NYC Regional Leadership Team.Qualifications
Site Identification, Selection and Acquisition
- Develop possible short-term and long-term facility options for each school in existing public school space or in private/commercial/parochial facilities.
- Evaluate options based on budgetary and political constraints and secure best option.
- Interface with tenants and landlords to negotiate leases and ensure overall effective management of school sites.
- Oversee construction, remodeling, and repair projects for individual school sites according to budget, scope, and timeline.
- Plan, direct, and review the activities and operations of KIPP facilities, including the civil, architectural, mechanical and structural planning and engineering of new construction, renovation, and capital replacement.
- Ensure all code requirements are met.
- Assist in the development of comprehensive project budgets.
- Co-manage school relocation process and school opening.
- Attain all necessary facility permits (zoning, certificate of occupancy, inspection, permits etc.).
- Work with KIPP attorneys to ensure prudent execution of all facility related contracts.
- Identify, evaluate, and recommend contractors, owner representatives, construction managers
- Represent KIPP and its schools at legal, local, and community facility-related hearings
Team Strategic Planning and Operations
- Responsible for maintaining and updating strategic plan for team.
- Lead monthly meetings with Regional Leadership to address needs and planning for New York City based schools
- Develop strategies to drive key operational, planning, tracking, and communications initiatives, and play a crucial role in ensuring that the Managing Director’s strategic priorities are achieved
- Manage external partnerships with M/WBE construction and real estate development related companies. Maintain database of companies.
- Directly manage Real Estate project managers
- Collaborate closely with other regional teams, including External Affairs, Facilities & Technology, and Finance
- Support Real Estate Finance and Development staff in execution on facility financing solutions, which may include: tax credit financing, conventional financing, and philanthropic support.
Compensation and Benefits:
KIPP NYC offers a competitive salary ranging from $115,360 - $132,870. Salary ranges at KIPP NYC are standardized based on role level and role function. Individual salaries are determined through a lens of equity, accounting for years of experience relevant to the role and scope of responsibilities, and are benchmarked against others within the same salary band.
KIPP NYC offers a generous benefits package including, but not limited to, the following:
- Robust benefits that include medical, dental, and vision.
- 403(b) retirement plan with 50% match after 6 months.
- Generous Time-Off aligned with school calendar
- Up to 12 weeks 100% parental leave.
- Bright Horizon Back-up Child and Elder care.
- Employer paid Life Insurance and Short term/Long term disability.
- Employee incentives including 8 Weeks paid Sabbatical after 10 years, annual professional development funds, and tuition reimbursement.
This description is intended to describe the type of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by the employee.
KIPP NYC LLC is an anti-racist organization that believes in the importance of being diverse, equitable, and inclusive. We are committed to creating a welcoming environment that includes employees with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving students and families throughout New York City. BIPOC, women, gender expansive, LGBTQIA+, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
KIPP NYC LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. KIPP NYC LLC is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.
KIPP NYC Public SchoolsNew York, NY
Real EstateView All KIPP NYC Public Schools Jobs
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.