The Manufacturing Engineer (ME) is a member of the ME Team supporting Plant Productivity projects for our Mobile Platforms Manufacturing. Applicants for this role need to be mechanical equipment experts with strong assembly and work station design knowledge who enjoy leading change. The ME shall help manage manufacturing process projects for continuous improvement to operations. The ME is a key liaison between the factory operations and the management teams; ensuring plant priorities and objectives are clearly understood and considered. This includes providing input for design for manufacturability, applying lean principles to process designs and transferring process knowledge to the applicable factory personnel.
· Actively facilitating the implementation of process improvements in support of Engineering and Continuous Improvement initiatives.
· Coordinate capital equipment installations and projects: Including specification development utilizing industry standards, supplier selection, technical reviews, factory layout development, installation and qualification of equipment. Ensure all tooling and equipment is reliable and robust and designed to maximize Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE).
· Facilitate the use of Lean manufacturing principles while developing manufacturing equipment and processes. Utilize cross-functional participation to ensure that the equipment and processes are compatible with the entire value stream. Efforts should include: right-sized equipment, workstation design, material presentation, standard work and single piece flow.
· Work with factory operations and Lean teams to understand the Value Stream and how your projects impact this. Ensure material flow, workstation set up, model mix, etc. are considered when workstations / equipment are designed.
· Work Standard Development (Research Processes, Document with Illustrations, Conduct Training)
· Experience managing capital equipment and process improvement projects: Including specification development, supplier selection, technical reviews, and installation.
· Experience with Lean manufacturing principles
· Ability to work in large cross-functional teams and at multiple levels in the organization (both salaried and shop floor operators / skilled trades team members)
· Good communication skills – will be expected to provide program report outs to cross-functional team.
· Good organizational, project management and presentation skills to interact with all levels within the organization and with suppliers and vendors
· Demonstrated ability to take ownership of cross-functional program deliverables and ability to drive decisions based on the overall benefit to the company
· Experience with processing manual/labor intensive assembly operations as opposed to CNC, automated systems, or technologically driven mechanical manufacturing methods (Professional or even personal experience in building and construction preferred)
· Experience with Laser Plate Cutting and Metal Fabrication and ERP Data Base Experience Preferred.
· Lean Experience (Waste Identification, Kaizen Efforts, Value Steam Mapping, Standards of Work)
· Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or related discipline OR equivalent 5-7 years’ hands on experience in technical/manufacturing disciplines with procurement, testing, installation of manufacturing equipment and process improvement focus.
· Significant experience in one of the following areas and some experience at least two other areas: mechanical equipment installation, standardized work, assembly line design, work station design
· BS degree in Mechanical, Industrial or Manufacturing Engineering
· Experience with assembly line design, automation and customized fabrication equipment and manufacturing processes
· Experience with implementing Lean process improvement in a manufacturing operation
· CAD experience (Solidworks and/or AutoCAD preferred)
· Working conditions are normal for a high-volume manufacturing environment.
· Work may involve lifting of materials and product up to 30 pounds and working in and around heavy equipment.
· Working in this environment requires the use of safety equipment to include but not limited to; eye safety glasses, hearing protectors, work boots, and hardhats.
· This role will require frequent walking in a manufacturing plant environment.
Fundamental Irreplaceable Behavior Values:
Interpersonal Skills: Easy to get along with; Treats all people with dignity and respect ; displays kindness; shows interest in others; gives others appreciation and encouragement; common courtesy; Always approachable; never rude; Aware of and sensitive to what other people are feeling; Is at ease with people at all levels; Does not belittle the opinions or work of other people, regardless of their status or position; Deals effectively with a diverse workforce; Demonstrates a high degree of “emotional intelligence”; Truly values and genuinely likes people; Treats others with respect and as important person; Is unselfish and meets the legitimate needs of others; Serves others.
Ethics and Integrity: Admits mistakes in spite of the potential for negative consequences; Presents unpleasant or disagreeable facts in an appropriate manner; Keeps promises; meets goals and deadlines; Avoids situations and associations that could be considered inappropriate; Honest in all dealings; Upholds and models organization’s values; Does what you say you will do; Is forgiving when wronged.
Business Demeanor / Temperament: Displays a positive attitude and optimism about the work to be done, the people he or she works with, customers, management, and company policies; Has a constructive sense of humor; Maintains a calm temperament and pleasant demeanor; Shows self-control; Doesn’t spread gossip or rumors; Acts as a positive influence on others; Is courteous, patient, cooperative, and helpful; Is humble, never boastful or arrogant.
Accountability: Accepts personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of his/her work; Acknowledges and corrects mistakes; Doesn’t make excuses or blame others for errors or problems; Carries his/her fair share of the workload; Does what he/she commits to doing.