Bookkeeper, Junior League of Richmond
Mission: The Junior League of Richmond is an organization of women committed to the mission of promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers.
Vision: An inclusive group of informed thought leaders intentionally serving and empowering women, youth, and families striving for collective impact through collaboration and advocacy.
Description: The Junior League of Richmond is seeking an experienced Bookkeeper to support the day to day financial operations of the League. This position is primarily responsible for advising the Board of Directors on financial issues, implementing accounting and tax policies, managing relationships with lending and insurance institutions, and preparing financial reports, analysis, and budgetary controls. This position will be a part-time, remote or on-site opportunity, with flexible 20-hours per week depending on season.
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers and management about the finances of the business and justify certain financial recommendations.
- Experience using QuickBooks.
- Non-profit timesheets and payroll processing.
- Understanding of GAAP Accounting Standards.
- Creating, and paying, invoices and using appropriate documentation for invoices.
- Moderate knowledge of state and federal 501(c)(3) tax forms.
- Moderate knowledge of state and federal employment regulations.
Responsibilities & Job Duties:
- Development and analysis of annual financial statements and tax documents.
- Prepares and files all required state and federal government financial reports
- Serves as point of contact for CPA or serves as League’s CPA.
- Provides CPA with draft statements, footnotes, tax forms, and supporting documentation.
- Reconciles monthly bank statements and allocates expenses to functional areas.
- Manages various monthly reporting activities (budget reports, cash reserve reports, investment performance reports, reserve release reports)
- Monitors cash reserves.
- Maintains rental agreements and manages tenant relations.
- Researches and recommends equipment purchases, maintenance, upgrades, etc.
- Responsible for signing checks.
- Manages accounts receivable process, including determination of write-offs.
- Makes changes to investment accounts based on direction from the investment committee.
- Serves as the primary point of contact to the League’s Investment Advisor.
- Manages League banking and investment relationships.
- Provides internal reports, revises and updates reports to be more useful and efficient.
- Provides analysis and relevant reports to Board and Program committees as requested.
- Calculates annual Forward Funding and assists the Director of Finance with preparation of, and tracking against, the annual budget.
- Makes recommendations to the Board for accounting/ finance Policies and Procedures.
- Provides support for the annual report preparation.
- Maintains compliance with all federal, state, and local tax requirements.
- Regularly evaluates the League's position on Unrelated Business Income Tax.
- Maintains 501(c)(3) status and Virginia sales tax exemption.
- Attends continuing education to remain current on GAAP and IRS regulations.
- Monitors and reports on current developments in non-profit accounting and tax issues
- Partnering with the league as needed for special projects and additional volunteer requests.
- Understanding this is a role that interacts with volunteers and can work independently, but also collaborate when needed.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Junior League of Richmond