Johnny's Selected Seeds Waterville, ME
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Johnny's Selected Seeds was established in 1973 by our Founder and Chairman, Rob Johnston, Jr. Today we are 100% Employee Owned. Johnny's mission is Helping families, friends, and communities to feed one another by providing superior seeds, tools, information, and service.
Johnny's is renowned for our exceptional customer service offering seeds, tools, supplies and information to direct-market growers and avid home gardeners. We source, breed, trial, and sell outstanding selected varieties of vegetables, cut flowers, herbs, and farm seed, as well as thoughtfully designed tools and equipment. We take pride in the wealth of information and depth of experience we offer our customer base, nationwide and globally.
We are a strong, stable company focused on growth while still maintaining our small company feel and staying true to our roots. Beautiful Central Maine, where our research farm, warehouse, and offices are located, is the perfect launching point for an active, four season life style. Geographically situated halfway between Maine's mountains and it's 4500-mile-long coastline, we're a short drive away from resorts, parks, and harbors renowned for a rich diversity of recreational and cultural opportunities.
If you are passionate about good, healthy food and would choose to work for a company with fellow co-owners who are passionate about our mission and values, Johnny's may be the place for you!
The accountant is responsible for general ledger processes, inventory reconciliation and costing verifications within our systems. This role will also handle sales tax related compliance and reconciliations. In addition, this role will provide support during the monthly close process, year-end tasks and annual audits. He or She will also provide ad-hoc financial analysis to support better financial performance metrics.
This position is full-time working closely with all members of the Finance department.
- Monthly inventory reconciliation of perpetual system to the general ledger.
- Prepare cost of goods sold analysis by a variety of segments such as product line, research variances in performance metrics
- Review costs of inventory items and verify accuracy in the subledger.
- Ensures timely and accurate sales tax returns and remittances by the 3rd party vendor. This includes, but not limited to:
- Accuracy in our sales tax software set-up for new customers
- Reviews state regulatory changes and modifies system for compliance.
- Multi-state sales/use tax returns review and approval
- Monthly data analytics and general ledger tax account reconciliations
- State and local tax projects, daily tax research, and multistate audit requests
- Prepare, review and reconcile data downloads to the general ledger
- Administration and processing of travel expense reimbursement processes through 3rd party application
- Maintains fixed asset ledger and depreciation reconciliations.
- Preparation of monthly department reports
- Prepare annual personal property tax filings.
- Participation in annual budget preparation tasks
- Prepare calculation of royalty obligations in accordance with various agreements.
- Monthly general ledger account reconciliations various assigned accounts
- Assist with general accounting functions
- Perform various financial analyses
- Other duties as business dictates
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university or equivalent work experience.
Qualifications & Skills
- One to two years of experience in distribution or manufacturing environment preferred but not required
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite applications including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Analytical, reporting and data querying skills required
- Detail oriented approach to work, with respect for confidentiality
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Motivated and self-starter
- Adaptable supports and implements change as necessary
- Must be able to move, manipulate and operate computer equipment
- Capable of sitting for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to bend, pull and lift (up to 35 lbs. occasionally)
- Health Insurance (HMO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance
Johnny's Selected Seeds is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, or veteran status.
Please apply online at:
Johnny's Selected Seeds
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at Johnny's Selected Seeds