Do you have experience with threat engineering, missile simulations, or the intelligence community?
Are you passionate about using innovation and technology to solve technical challenges involving the defense of the US and her allies?
If so, this is the perfect opportunity for you.
The A4H Applied Technologies and Threat Engineering Group develops non-kinetic defensive strategies by combining a detailed understanding of threat systems (ballistic missiles, cruise missiles and similar systems) with advanced technologies. Our group is seeking an innovative technical leader to analyze, characterize, and model ballistic missile threats. In this position you will develop foreign ballistic missile system characterizations and will guide threat engineering efforts for the Department of Defense (DoD). Characterizations include system design, modeling flight capabilities, and scenario development of adversary capabilities.
As a Ballistic Missile Threat Engineer:
Your primary responsibility will be to create threat characterizations of advanced foreign systems. To accomplish this, you will use threat in-house and commercially developed tools with representations of kinematics, guidance systems, control systems, and sensors.
- You will explore advanced technology and its effect on US current and future Ballistic Missile Defense Systems.
- You will lead teams to develop ballistic missile trajectories and scenarios with threat modeling tools and will improve trajectory tools as needed.
- You will provide threat characterizations and representations to radar simulations, interceptor missile simulations, and combat system simulations. You will coordinate threat representations inside the laboratory and with external contractors and DoD sponsors.
- You will design, develop, execute data development plans to ensure that threat characterizations (trajectory representations, signatures, and debris characterizations) are consistent with the best understanding of adversary capabilities.
- You will interface with the intelligence community to ensure a strong working knowledge of available information on foreign system capabilities.
- You will develop presentations and brief results of efforts to team members, management, and DoD sponsors.
- You will participate in and contribute to a team environment that involves personnel with various academic backgrounds and experience levels.
You meet the minimum qualifications for this position if you:
- Have a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or equivalent.
- Have at least five years professional work experience.
- Have experience working on missile defense programs, threat systems characterization, or knowledge of operational environments.
- Have experience with any of the following program languages: MATLAB, Python, C, C++, C#, or Java.
- Have good written and verbal communication skills.
- Are willing to work a significant portion of the time in a closed area.
- Are able to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Have a Master of Science degree in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Physics or equivalent.
- Have at least ten years professional work experience.
- Have at least three years of experience in modeling and simulation.
- Have program proficiency with any of the following program languages: MATLAB, Python, C, C++, C#, or Java.
- Have experience with missile guidance and control systems, radars, seekers/sensors, flight mechanics, and/or propulsion systems.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Have an Active Top Secret/SCI Clearance. ****
****Why Work at APL?****
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 20905