Are you interested in missile system design and working in the field of hypersonics?
Do you enjoy solving challenging problems with a diverse team of engineers?
If so, we are seeking an engineer to help us perform trade studies, performance assessments, and conceptual design studies of missile systems. As a member of the team, you will also develop modeling and simulation tools and participate in the integration and testing of missile systems.
As a Missile Systems Engineer ...
- You will develop and utilize missile system modeling and simulation tools to conduct trade studies, performance assessments, and conceptual design studies of missile systems
- You will participate in missile test and evaluation activities to include test operations and pre/post flight evaluations
- You will lead and contribute to analysis efforts
- You will collaborate with cross-discipline teams to advise government and contractor partners on engineering challenges and design trades
- You will produce reports and presentations to communicate results to team members and government partners.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a B.S. in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related discipline
- Have experience in a missile system engineering discipline such as missile modeling and simulation, aerodynamics, flight dynamics, missile guidance, navigation, and control, propulsion or missile test and evaluation
- Have prior experience coding and using MATLAB or Python
- Are willing and able to travel occasionally to attend meetings or tests at other government and contractor sites
- Will be comfortable working in closed area facilities
- Have an active final Secret Clearance and are able to obtain a Top Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Have a M.S in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related discipline
- Have 2+ years of in a missile system engineering discipline such as missile modeling and simulation, aerodynamics, flight dynamics, missile guidance, navigation, and control, propulsion or missile test and evaluation
- Have experience programming in Simulink and/or C/C++
- Have experience using optimal control software packages such as OTIS, POST or GPOPS
- Have experience developing 3DoF and/or 6DoF simulations
- Have design experience with missiles and related subsystems
- Currently have an active Top Secret Clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 20673