Do you desire to be part of a hardworking, dynamic IT support team that is passionate about helping people solve IT problems?
Are you keenly interested in technology and looking for an environment that offers training, coaching and mentoring opportunities for career growth?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking an IT Help Desk Technician to help us support the information technology needs of the nation's leading university affiliated research center. You will be working with engineers, scientists and business professionals that are addressing critical challenges of our nation. We are ranked as one of Computerworld's 2018 Top Places to Work in IT and are wanting to add bright, dedicated hardworking technicians to our team.
As an IT Help Desk Technician ...
- Your primary responsibility will be to provide first contact resolution for account administration, desktop, laptop, mobile devices, applications, and network connectivity problems remotely in a call center or walkup desk;
- You will create, maintain, and modify user accounts for network and APL business applications;
- You will research, analyze, and diagnose problems with client systems to include hardware and software, servers, peripheral equipment, and networks.
- You will solve problems using documented processes where available and best practices where not;
- You will assist teams with incident response support and be involved in the development and presentation of training sessions;
- You will provide appropriate documentation on services provided and status updates as needed.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a Bachelor's degree or at least 4 years of recent IT related work experience;
- Have the ability to troubleshoot and resolve technical problems for clients; to independently resolve widely varying problems using current job knowledge and using research and external resources;
- Have hardware, software and networking troubleshooting experience -- hardware experience must include desktops, laptops, mobile devices and printers; software experience includes Windows and Microsoft Office; networking experience to include understanding TCP/IP and DNS, Active Directory and Exchange
- Are an excellent communicator, are highly motivated and have excellent customer services skills with the ability to interface with all levels of staff;
- Are willing and able to support operations and work necessary hours to complete critical work and/or troubleshooting and work in a call center environment that requires sitting for extended periods of time and troubleshoot problems over the phone during the assigned work hours;
- Are able to obtain Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Possess a Bachelor's degree in an IT-related field
- Have 2 years' experience in a call center environment and using system management tools such as Symantec Ghost Solution Suite
- Have software experience with Desktop remote control tools and Windows 10, Macintosh, and iOS
- Possess any of the following certifications: ITIL, A , Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP), Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer for Windows (MCSE), Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT), HDI Support Analyst.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.