I. Position Title: Packaging Machine Operator – Packaging and Seasoning
II. Employment Classification: Non-Exempt (Hourly)
III. Department: Production
IV. Reports to: Production Supervisor
V. Fundamental Objective: Responsible for daily operation of specialized commercial food processing equipment, to include vertical form fill packaging equipment, seasoning equipment, and metal detector operations. Always operates equipment according to company policy and strict safety standards.
VI. Level of Supervision Required: Moderate
VII. Supervisory Responsibilities - None
VIII. Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
A. Ensure proper working order of production/packaging equipment. Ensure all equipment is operating at peak performance.
B. Perform daily operations in line with company outlined settings and standards to ensure maximum product quality.
C. Inspect lines multiple times daily to proactively identify any potential maintenance or safety issues.
D. Perform preventative maintenance and basic troubleshooting as needed or contact supervisor if required maintenance is outside of current ability or training.
E. Assures machinery, equipment and designated workspace(s) are properly maintained for efficient and safe production.
F. Adhere to Company safety policies and procedures, such as lockout-tag out, maintaining a safe work environment at all times.
G. Keep accurate records as required.
H. Work closely with the Quality Control Department.
I. Notify Production Supervisor of any issue requiring immediate assistance.
J. Follows all GMP’s and food safety practices.
K. Ensure food contact areas are professionally cleaned and sanitized, following required GMP’s and safety policies.
L. Additional duties as assigned by supervisor.
IX: Minimum Qualifications:
A. High school diploma or equivalent.
B. Two years’ related industry experience including working with food processing equipment
such as packaging machines, scale systems, metal detectors and HMI control panels.
C. Working knowledge of – Microsoft Office Suite.
X: Essential Position Requirements:
A. Possess strategic problem-solving skills to develop feasible solutions to problems,
recommend actions and refer problems to upper management when necessary. (F)
B. Possess good communication skills to effectively convey ideas, both written and oral.(F)
C. Ability to comprehend and to follow instructions verbally or in written form. (F)
D. Possess planning and organizing skills to develop long-range plans to solve complex
problems and recommend actions. (F)
E. Maintain interpersonal relationships which encourage openness, candor and trust. (F)
F. Ability to work in a diverse team environment. (F)
G. Possess good judgment, dependability, adaptability and punctuality. (F)
XI: Marginal Position Requirements:
A. Possess analytical skills to identify problems, review courses of action and make decisions.
B. Possess strong mathematical skills to understand gauges and instrumentation. (O)
C. Possess the ability to make independent decisions, based on experience and knowledge,
without supervision. (O)
D. Be able to effectively read and understand written information, including memos, reports,
bulletins, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. (F)
E. Strong time management skills to meet deadlines balanced with a strong attention to detail
and quality. (F)
XII: Essential Physical Requirements:
A. Body Position and Movement
1. Sit to operate the computer, conduct a meeting, operate forklift, etc. (F)
2. Stand to work with vendors or employees as needed. (F)
3. Walk to deliver materials within the facility or to access equipment. (F)
4. Climb/balance to ascend or descend ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, or inclined surfaces. (F)
5. Lift and carry items weighing up to 50 pounds. (F)
B. Object Manipulation
1. Use the computer for data entry – press keys with fingers, both hands. (F)
2. Operate a telephone for communication purposes – reach, lift with hand, press keys with fingers. (F)
3. Use pens and pencils to record data – grasp by thumb and finger. (F)
4. Use keys to unlock office and file cabinets – grasp by thumb and finger, twist with wrist/hand. (F)
C. Environmental Demands
1. Exposure to moving machinery. (F)
2. Exposure to excessive noises. (F)
3. Exposure to marked changes in temperature and humidity. (F)
4. Exposure to slippery or uneven walking surfaces. (F)
5. Exposure to solvents, grease or oils. (F)
6. Work around excessive vibration. (F)
7. Exposure to radiant or electrical energy. (F)
8. Working indoors. (F)
XIII: Marginal Physical Requirements: A. Body Position and Movement
1. Lift and carry items weighing under 50 pounds. (O)
2. Bend/Stoop to flex upper trunk forward with knees partially or fully flexed. (O)
3. Crouch at waist with full flexing of knees. (O)
4. Squat so body is supported on feet, knees are bent so that buttocks rest on or near heels. (O)
5. Reach with arms having a full extension of elbows. (O)
6. Turn/Twist body to rotate into a different direction while sitting or standing. (O)
7. Push/Pull to exert force upon an object against or towards oneself to move it.
Why Work Here?