About the JCC of the East Bay
The JCC East Bay is a welcoming home for people of all ages and life stages. Our mission is to create healthy communities inspired by Jewish values, culture, and tradition. We build interpersonal relationships, foster learning and inspiration, and explore Jewish life. The JCC’s core programs include intergenerational Jewish holiday celebrations; early childhood education and preschool; camp and afterschool programs; and provocative cultural arts and civic engagement events. The JCC serves and reflects the diverse residents of the East Bay, offering physical gathering spaces for the Jewish and broader community.
The Staff Accountant will work closely with the CFO and Controller to execute agency critical accounting tasks. This position requires attention to detail as well as excellent customer service and communication skills. The Staff Accountant supports and works with our staff, members, vendors, and community. This is an exempt position that reports to the Controller.
Duties & Responsibilities
A/R (Quickbooks & Ultracamp):
- Receiving enrollment paperwork (including Agreements)
- Setting up customer accounts
- Tracking and receiving of customer Agreements and related paperwork
- Receiving and applying schedule change forms
- Maintain customer files
- Maintain schedule of deposits held by customer and program
- Payment calculations
- Executing monthly billing & payment processing including
- Sending out monthly invoices
- Receive, charge, and apply payments
- Drop-in billing for preschool
- Work smoothly with the other staff and clients to update customer accounts and adjust billings and payments as necessary
- Keeping up on participants joining and leaving the programs
- Billing and collections, including delinquent payments
- Work with Development department to process donations and pledges
- Update program rosters monthly
- Third party scholarships and payments:
- Assuring monthly reports are sent to funding agency (either send or assure that program directors send), keeping copies of such submissions
- Maintaining file of contracts between third party funders and the grantees
- Main contact between parents and agency making sure accounts are kept current
- Alerting and involving Controller and CFO when A/R problems arise
- Check on A/R at least monthly and follow up on delinquent accounts
A/P – (Quickbooks):
- Maintain vendor accounts and payables files
- Process weekly bill pay
- Properly code payments by class and account
- Reconcilecredit card statements, including collecting receipts
- Maintain and track petty cash at Berkeley site; supply sufficient cash to front desk, and other events as needed
- Download and update bank transactions into Quickbooks
- Prepare weekly bank deposits & update Salesforce Data
- Reconcile all bank accounts
- Will assist Controller to process bi-weekly payroll.
- Serves as backup to Controller to run payroll in Controller’s absence
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Minimum of 2 + years of progressively responsible accounting experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting (or equivalent job experience).
- QuickBooks experience preferred.
- Strong computer aptitude in a Microsoft Windows environment
- Experience with other software systems including Microsoft Word and Excel (including pivot tables), Salesforce or other CRM, and other cloud-based registration and payment systems
- Demonstrated excellent customer service utilizing verbal and written communication
- Strong analytical skills with particular attention to detail and accuracy
- Nonprofit experience strongly preferred
- Strong organizational, oral and written communication skills
- Experience and/or knowledge of all financial functions
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects with specific timelines
- Versatility, flexibility, and an ability to shift and manage priorities
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive statement of every duty and responsibility which will ever be required of an employee in this position, however, the employee will be held responsible for all duties assigned.
If you are an interested candidate, please describe in a cover letter why you are uniquely qualified for this position and attach a resume. Please note the specific job title in your subject line of your email. This position is open until filled.
Please note: Prior to confirming your employment, you will be required to pass a background check.
Send cover letter and resume as attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE NO CALLS.
The JCC East Bay is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. JCC East Bay policy prohibits unlawful discrimination in accordance with federal, state, and local laws. The JCC East Bay complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act and is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require particular accommodations during the application and interview process, please inform us of your needs so that we can provide accordingly.
The JCC of the East Bay provides a comfortable and warm gathering place for Jews wishing to affirm their cultural and ethnic origins. Our members and visitors represent all facets of the Jewish community and many are unaffiliated with other Jewish organizations or synagogues. All programs emphasize and celebrate Jewish values and culture, and are open to everyone. Together, with an active Board of Directors, our dedicated staff, and our strong and active volunteer teams work together to build a strong community.